Understanding My Pattern

I am new to knitting and this forum and look forward to learning from all of you!

My pattern has 5 rows. Here is a breakdown of my confusion:

• Row 2 and alt rows states: K the p sts and p the k sts of previous row. Ok, I get this, I’m fine with what this means.

• Row 3: K3, p1, k2, cross 2L, p1, k3 Again, I understand this row.

• Row 4 (an alt row so back to row 2 instruction): P3, k1, p2, ???, k1, p3

For Row 4, what do I do with the cross 2L from Row 3? Do I cross 2R? Or leave as is?

Thank you in advance for any help on this!

Welcome!

What is your pattern name and link if you have one?

Welcome to KH!
The row 2 instructions apply but probably not to the cable cross. This is where a pattern link or even a pattern name helps, as Jan requested. Often, the cables are knit on the front side for the cable cross and purl on the alternate row so that the cable or twist stands out.

Thank you both for such quick responses! I don’t have a link but my pattern is a Crossed Rib and is out of a book–Knitting Encyclopedia: 1500 Patterns by Mon Tricot. Here is the entire pattern (I hope I am allowed to post this):

Crossed Rib
Multiple of 10 + selv.
Row 1: K3, p1, k2, p1, k3
Row 2 and alt rows: K the p sts and p the k sts of previous row
Row 3: K3, p1, k2, cross 2L, p1, k3
Row 4: Alt row
Row 5: Rep. from row 1.

I’ve tried to attached a pic of the pattern, I hope it works!

Thanks again!

OK, so on the alternate rows, knit the V stitches and purl the loops, and this will apply to the cable cross as well. You’ll purl those sts.

Forgive me, I am so new, this is my first project. I don’t know what V stitches and loops are LOL. If I understand correctly, my row 4 will be:

P3, k1, p2, p2, k1, p3

Is this correct?

Thank you again for your help!

You know, looking at the pattern and directions, there’s something wrong. I only see 2sts in the C2L, not 4sts. Is that consistent with the directions for the C2L?
It looks to me that in order to get the pattern shown and be consistent it should read:

Crossed Rib
Multiple of 10 + selv.
Row 1: K3, p1, k2, p1, k3
Row 2 and alt rows: K the p sts and p the k sts of previous row
[I][U]Row 3: K3, p1, cross 2L, p1, k3[/U][/I]
Row 4: Alt row = p3, k1, p2, k1, p3
Row 5: Rep. from row 1.

Sorry for being confusing. By V stitches I mean the stitches across the middle in the photo that you posted. Each stitch looks like a little V and is knit. On the wrong side, these same sts will look like little loops or collars and is purled.

Thank you!

So the error is that the pattern calls for multiples of 10, yet row three as written has 12 st! You’ve modifed/corrected it to have 10. I will follow your modified pattern. I’ll let you know how it goes–I’m making a throw!

Thank you for your explanation of the v’s and loops, makes perfect sense!