Understanding my first knitting piece

Hello. I’m new to knitting and I need help with the blanket I’m making.
My instructions say
Row 1: (WS). Knit.
Row 2: K5. K2tog. *K12. (K1. Yo. K1) in same st. K12. Sl1. K2tog. Psso. Rep from *3 times more. K12. (K1. Yo. K1) in same st. K12. Ssk. K5

Do the instructions about row 1 mean that I work the entire piece on the wrong side by knitting on first row? Because nowhere in the instructions does it say Right side. Or does it mean that I need to purl in row 1?
And can anyone guide me what *k12. (K1. Yo. K1) etc means in easy terms? Thankyou in advance

Hi Nida,
with the pattern you are using, your row 1 is the wrong side( reverse side, inside - call it what you will lol) Some patterns begin like this while others call row 1 the RS (right side, front, outside, public and more that I cannot think of!!) It will not matter which row comes first as long as you maintain the front(RS) and back(WS) rows correctly afterwards.You do not need to purl a row first.
For row 2: *k12, (K1,YO,K1) in the same stitch This is an increase which you will make along the row.You will knit 12 sts, knit into the next stitch as usual but do not pull the loop of the left needle, bring your yarn forward between the needles to the front then knit into the loop on the left needle again and then slip the loop off the left needle. This video may help you see the action a bit better than my explanation :slight_smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qr7UnXcKGs.
Hope this helps and please ask if you need any further help.
Good luck with your project and welcome to Knitting Help and the wonderful world of knitting :grphug:

1 Like

Thankyou so much for the prompt reply. Got the answer I was looking for :slight_smile: I’m loving this forum already. Hope to be an active part of it

1 Like