Understanding carding instruction

That is the pattern I’m doing. I’m stuck at the body park in bold
MWith smaller circular needle, using MC cast on 147(175-187-207-223-243) sts using Cable Cast-On method. DO NOT join. Work in Mistake Rib for 3”, dec 1 st in center of last row, end on WS – 146(174-186-206-222-242) sts. Change to larger needles and work even in St st until piece measures 4” from beg, end on WS. Still working in St st, work 1 row A, 3 rows B, then 1 row A. Work even with MC until piece measures 161⁄2(161⁄2-17-17-171⁄2-171⁄2)” from beg, end on WS.

What is work 1 row A, 3 rows B, then 2 row?

Welcome to KH!
A and B refer to the colors forming the stripes in the lower portion of the jacket. If you’re not working the stripes then you can continue working stockinette stitch in the main color throughout.

1 Like

I I don’t have. Wow thanks

1 Like

Okay I finished the body! Now i need to start dividing the body. Here is the diagram image

Divide for Back and Fronts: Next Row (RS): With larger straight needle, k44, leave remaining sts on circular needle for back and left front. ( since I leave the rest of the stitches on the needle, do I need another needle or I’m I still using the same Needle?)

Right Front: Turn. Bind off 2 sts, p to end – 44 sts. Dec 1 st at end of every RS row 11 times – 33-35 sts. Work even until armhole measures 61⁄2, end on WS.

You could do this a couple of ways. Knit 44, ignore the remaining sts and turn to work the right front. Keep working on the right front’s 44sts, leaving the back and left front sts just sitting on the same needle.

Alternatively you could K44 and move the remaining sts to scrap yarn or a spare needle. Once you’ve finished the right front, you’ll go back to those held sts to finish up the left front and back, one piece at a time.

You’ve made impressive progress so far!

Okay I got it.
I shaped then neck but I’m stuck at the shoulder where I bolded

Shape Neck: Next Row (RS): Bind off 8 sts, k to end – 25 sts.
Shape Shoulder: Next Row (RS): Bind off 5 sts, p to end – 20 sts. Dec 1 st at neck edge every RS row 3 times more. AT THE SAME TIME, bind off 56 sts at armhole edge 1times more, then 6 sts 2 times.

OK, I’m going to assume that the first bind off of 8sts is on the RS row, a knit side and at the neck edge. Call that row 1.
The next row, row 2 is a WS row, a purl row and the bind off of 5sts is at the armhole edge. Dec one stitch at the neck edge on rows 3, 5 and 7 (all RS rows). Bind off 5sts at the armhole edge at the beginning of row 4. then bind off 6sts at the beginning of rows 6 and 8.
Sometimes it helps to make a small chart of the row numbers and the neck or shoulder bind offs so that you can check them off as you work them.

Okay I’m done with right side now stuck at back. What is MC?

Back: With RS facing, join MC to sts left on circular needle. With larger straight needle, bind off 16 sts, then k until there are 98 sts on RH needle. Turn and purl 1 row. Bind off 2 sts at beg of the next 2 rows, then dec 1 st each side every RS row 11 times – 72 sts. Work even until armholes measure 61⁄2, end on WS. Bind off 5- sts at each armhole edge 2 times, then 6 sts 2times – 28 sts. Bind off remaining sts for back neck.

MC is your main color. Do the rest of the directions make sense or would you like help there?

Yeah I would like help please. Why are they saying MC. I’m only working with one color throughout

This pattern has a colour stripe detail near the bottom of the body and near the cuff of each sleeve. Due to this the pattern writer has continued throught the pattern to say Main Colour so that people do not use the second colour.

As you are using a single colour for the entire project you can ignore things like colour A colour B and Main Colour.

Hope this helps.

OK for the Back, call the row that starts with the bind off of 16sts, row 1. Bind off the 16 sts and then knit 97more sts. There’ll be 98sts on the right hand needle (that includes the stitch left over after the bind off).
Purl row 2.
Bind off 2sts at the beginning of rows 3 and 4.
Dec one stitch on each side of rows 5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23 and 25. There’ll be 72sts remaining.

Continue knitting to the given length ending having completed a wrong side row. Bind off 5sts at the beginning of the row, call it row 1. Bind off 5sts at the beginning of row 2. Repeat this by binding off 5sts at the beginning of rows 3 and 4. Bind off 6sts at the beginning of rows 5, 6,7 and 8. Then bind off the remaining 28sts.

Alright I’m olmost done. I’m doing the left now. I don’t understand the instruction. I’m not able to reverse

See bolded part

Left Front: With RS facing, join MC to remaining sts on circular needle. With larger straight needles, bind off 16 sts, then k to end 46 sts. Complete to correspond to right front, reversing all shaping. Work armhole bind-off and decs at beg of RS rows. Work neck bind-offs and decs at beg of WS rows. Bind off for shoulder on RS rows.

Here are the instructions for the right side

Right Front: Turn. Bind off 2 sts, p to end – 44 sts. Dec 1 st at end of every RS row 11 times 33 sts. Work even until armhole measures 61⁄2 end on WS.

These are all directions for shaping the armhole. At some point there will be directions for shaping the neck as well although from the schematic, the neck shaping won’t begin yet.

For the left front, with the RS or public side of the jacket facing, bind off 2sts at the beginning of the row. This is the armhole edge. Call that bind off row, row 1. Decrease one stitch at the beginning of rows 3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21 and 23.

You are knitting up a storm!

I shaped the neck after finishing the right side. So let me finish the left side.

It’s done!! Now for the sleeves. I’m only working one color… nothing else makes sense. I just included the cap and finishing instructions.

Sleeves: With smaller straight needles, using MC, cast on 43 sts, using Cable Cast-On method. Work even in Mistake Rib for 3”, dec 1 st in center of last row, end on WS – 42 sts. Change to larger straight needles and work even in St st until sleeve measures 31⁄2" from beg, end on WS. Still working in St st, work 1 row A, 1 row B, 1 row A, then 1 row MC. Using MC alone from here, inc 1 st each side of next row, then every 3⁄4” 14 times more – 72 sts. Work even until sleeve measures 18” from beg, end on WS.

Shape Cap: Bind off 8sts at beg of the next 2 rows, then 2 sts at beg of the following 2 rows – 52 sts. Dec 1 st each side every 4th row 8 times, then every RS row 6 times, end on WS – 24 sts. Work even on 24 sts (this is the saddle) until piece measures 41⁄2 above last dec, end on WS. Bind off.
FINISHING
Sew sleeves and cap (that is self explanatory)

Collar: With RS facing, using smaller straight needles and MC, beg at right front neck edge, pick up and k79 sts around entire neck edge. Work even in Mistake Rib for 21⁄2", end on WS. Bind off.

Left Frontband: With smaller straight needles and A, cast on 13 sts.
Row 1 (RS): K1, (p1, k1) 6 times.
Row 2: P1, (k1, p1) 6 times. Rep these 2 rows until band, when slightly stretched, reaches from lower left front edge to top of collar, end on WS. Bind off in ribbing. Sew inner edge of frontband to left front and collar edge. Mark placement of 9 buttons along frontband, the first 1” above lower edge, the last 1⁄2” down from top edge and the others evenly spaced between.
Right Frontband: With smaller straight needles, using MC, cast on 13 sts. Work same as left frontband for 1”, end on WS.
Buttonhole Row (RS): Work 5 sts, bind off 2 sts, work to end.
Following Row: Work in ribbing as established, cast on 2 sts over sts bound off on previous row. Complete same as left frontband, making 8 more buttonholes opposite markers on left frontband. Sew inner edge of frontband to right front and collar edges. Sew on buttons.

The increases for the sleeve are measured every 2 1/2 inches so that’s straightforward to work. You end with 72sts.
When you get to the measurement for the sleeve cap, start with the bind off at the underarm. Call the first bind off row, row 1. Bind off 8sts at the beginning of rows 1 and 2. Bind off 2sts at the beginning of rows 3 and 4.
Then there are decreases to shape the sleeve cap. In order to put the decreases on a RS row, dec one stitch at each side on rows 7,11,15,19,23,27,31 and 35. Then on rows 37,39,41,43,45 and 47.
That’ll leave you with 24sts for the saddle shoulder strip.
See how that goes and if you need help with the rest, come back and ask. You’re doing fine and really spending time on this sweater.

Hello knitters. Sorry but the holidays took me away from knitting. Anyhow following your direction I redid the sweeter to a smaller size. I’m stuck at the cape shaping again really but I included the sleeves for reference. Here are the direction

SLEEVES
cast on 43 sts, using Cable Work even in Mistake Rib for 3”, dec 1 st in center of last row, end on WS – 42 sts. 31⁄2" from beg, end on WS. Work even until sleeve measures 18” from beg, end on WS.

Shape Cap: Bind off 5sts at beg of the next 2 rows, then 2 sts at beg of the following 2 rows 48 sts. Dec 1 st each side every 4th row 6 times, then every RS row 6 times, end on WS – 24 sts. Work even on 24 sts (this is the saddle) until piece measures 31⁄2 above last dec, end on WS. Bind off.

All good to let holiday cheer, friends and family distract you from knitting. But now back to it.

Call the next row, row 1. Cast off 5sts at the beginning of rows 1 and 2, then cast off 2sts at the beginning of rows 3 and 4. Decrease one stitch each edge on rows 8,12,16,20,24 and 28 (that’s every 4th row). Then dec on rows 30,32,34,36,38 and 40 (that’s every RS row).
Of course, if these are WS rows you can always switch them to the previous or the following RS rows
Continue without and decreases on the saddle for the given measurement ending having finished a WS row and bind off.

So these directions are different from the previous “Shape Cap” directions that you posted?

Yes this is for a medium size. The fort one is size 1x

1 Like