Unclear instructions

Hi,

Perhaps someone could explain the meaning of the following Rowan instructions: ‘inc 1 st at each end of 5th and 8 foll 4th rows, then on 1 foll 6th rows’?
I have 154 sts before starting this and I should reach 174 sts in the end as the result of the action described above. I do not understand when and how those extra 20 sts should be added. Thanks for the help! :slight_smile:

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
Increase at each end (so that’s 2sts per increase row) on rows 5, 9, 13, 17, 21, 25, 29, 33, 37 and finally 43.

Thank you so much!:yay:

Hi,
Could somebody help me to understand the following Rowan instruction for decrease :‘dec 1 st at each end of 2nd and foll 24 alt rows, then on 0 foll 4th rows’. I have 164 sts before doing this and I should get 112 sts afterwards as a result of the decrease. Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

decrease 1 stitch at each end of rows 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, 48, 50 and then for your size, no more decreases, just knitting on the following rows until you reach the next part of your instructions.

you’ll go from 164 to 162 to 160 stitches, and so on, and keep tapering down until you end up with the 112 stitches.

:happydance: thank you

Hello,
Could someone help me to translate the following instructions for decrease for neck and armhole: “dec 1 st at raglan armhole edge of 2nd and foll 6 alt rows, then on 14 foll 4th rows and at same time dec 1 st at neck edge of 2nd and foll 20 alt rows, then on 7 foll 4th rows”. I should go from 56 sts to 6 sts.
Thank you in advance!

The best way to figure these directions out is to write them out in two columns and check them off as you knit. Start with the decreases on row 2. Then you’ll decrease on the armhole every other row 6 times, so keep adding 2 to the row count until you’ve done that 6 times. Then add 4 to the row count 14 times and you’ll have the row numbers for the armhole decreases.
For the armhole that works out to dec on rows 2,4,6,8 etc up to row 14 and then on rows 18, 22, 26 etc.
For the neck edge, dec on rows 2,4,6,8 etc up to row 42 and then rows 46,50,54 etc.

Hi, could you pls help me to understand the following instructions: ‘dec 1 st at each end of next and 5 foll 4th rows, then on every foll alt row until 19 sts rem’. I should go from 155 to 19 sts. Thanks

Sounds like you’re making good progress!
So for these directions, call the next row, row 1. Dec at [I]each[/I] end of rows i,5,9,13,17,and 21 (that’s the next row and then every 4th row, 5 times.
Now dec at each end of every other row untill 19sts remain. So that’s rows 23,25,27,29,31 etc.
Remember that’s a 2stitch dec on each dec row.

Thanks for your swift help;-)

Hi there, u seem to be pretty good with pattern explanations…Could u pls help me with this?
I have 33 sts now and pattern continues:
Inc 1 st at each end of 2nd and foll 0 rows, then on foll 4 alt rows to get 41 sts.
I understand it to crochet 1st row as it is then increase 2 stiches on 2nd row then crochet without adding 3rd row then increase 2 stiches on 4th row, then no change on 5th row and increase 2 stiches on 6th row till I get to 41 stiches, is that correct?

i think there’s something wrong with the instructions… is it a pattern you can link to, or a free pattern so it’s easy for us to see more of the instructions? if you start with 33 sts, and increase 2 right away, you’re at 35 stitches. if you then increase 2 sts per alternate round, 4 times, that’s another 8 sts, bringing your total to 43, not 41…

Hi Xtopher, I didnt hope u would reply…so very much appreciate it…also couldnt send my question to all ppl to have better chances of someone replying etc…Im new to this site and thought it didnt work properly etc…
Anyway, back to point, I thought same like u did, those increased sts just didnt add to get 41 and after a while trying to figure out what where I got wrong I counted my sts again and found out I actually have 31 stiches which then fit perfectly into those instructions…so silly mistake I made…I dont know how I managed to miscalculate them…oh well…Im glad mystery is solved and thak you so much for taking time to respond to my question…many thanks…

i’m glad you were able to figure it out - have a fun knitting day! :grinning: