Two strands of worsted for felting

I would like to make a felted knitting needle case. I don’t have any bulk wool and I’d like something that knits up quite quickly. I do have lots of worsted wool; horrid, scratchy stuff that I will never use for anything else. Can I use a double strand of worsted so it knits up quickly? If so, what size needle should I use - the recommended size, or a few sizes bigger?
Or will a double strand somehow mess up the felting process?

Thanks!

Zoe

Double strand will work just fine. I use an 11 or 13 when felting two strands of worsted. If you are using a pattern that calls for bulky, go ahead and use the needle size it calls for. REMEMBER … when you felt your project will shrink MORE length wise than width, if you are making up the pattern. If you are using a pattern that should already be “built in”.

Thanks Debbie! I’m following a pattern, so I should be okay in that respect. Can I use three stands? Or is that just [I]lunacy[/I]?

:slight_smile:

Zoe

Zoe, if you are following a pattern, using three strands will just make the felted material thicker. It won’t make the knitting go any faster cuz you will still be knitting the same number of stitches :slight_smile: Two different colors together make some really pretty “felt”. This was made with dark pink and gray together.

Makes sense :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Zoe