Two colors inone row

if i were to make this iPod case, which color-adding method would i need to use? stranding? intarsia? fair isle?

i’m so confused :doh: …

Fair Isle and stranded knitting are the same thing. I think with this pattern, stranding would be the way to go, just keep the yarn you’re carrying very loose across the back. You can ‘catch’ it half-way across the back to prevent having the strands too long.

how would i add the new color?

Just start knitting with it. I think there’s a video on this site of stranded knitting.

Just start knitting with it. I think there’s a video on this site of stranded knitting.[/quote]

but she doesnt show u how to add it, its already there. :shrug: thats one problem i’ve found with most of the videos on this site. it explains how do do something, but not how to start it, and starting si usually the hardest part. in my opinion that stranding video did really do anything to help.

just my $0.02.

You can start knitting with the yarn and weave in the end later, or, if you want, you are actually allowed to tie a knot. :teehee:

Just drop the old color and pick up the new and start knitting with it, just like you would when you change colors at the beginning of a row. Or like Ingy said, you can tie a knot, though this always seemed trickier to me to get the knot to be in just the right place to start knitting. I never got that one down good. So all I do is, if the next stitch is to be done in color B, drop the color A I was knitting with and pick up color B and start knitting with it.

Just start knitting with it. I think there’s a video on this site of stranded knitting.[/quote]

but she doesnt show u how to add it, its already there. :shrug: thats one problem i’ve found with most of the videos on this site. it explains how do do something, but not how to start it, and starting si usually the hardest part. in my opinion that stranding video did really do anything to help.

just my $0.02.[/quote]

i can tie a knot in the middle of the row? :noway: :out:

Instead of tying knots, I knit with the “tail” so there are two strands, and the “tail” gets knit into the fabric. Does that make sense?

I don’t understand. The tail of the old color? But then . . . I don’t get it. You mean like, make one stitch with the new color, then pick up the tail of the new color and hold it together with the working end of the new color and knit with those two strands?

:?? i dont understand

No, the tail of the new colour.

I just posted this explanation in another thread.

What I do is kind of hard to explain, but I’ll try. A few stitches before the color change, start weaving in the end of the white yarn by inserting your needle to work the red stitch, then put the white yarn over the right needle tip from back to front–counter clockwise–wrap the red, remove the white and finish the red stitch. This should catch the white yarn. It has to come up from under the red to work, though, so you may have to play with it a bit.

Do it for a few stitches before and you won’t have to worry about weaving in the end later.

oooooh, you mean like the way you do it when you are wrapping the unusued yarn behind a stitch over long floats?

Yes–exactly, except you’re doing it before the color change with the tail pointing to the right.

If you find it difficult to just start knitting with a colour, but don’t want to tie a knot either, I often just attach a safety pin to the work and tie the new strand of wool to that, because sometimes I can’t spare a thumb to hold it down.
Sarah