Two color scarf - crochet edge to hide yarn carried up?

I am knitting a scarf with wide stripes. Rather than break the yarn and weave in a hundred ends, can I carry the yarn up the side and then use crochet to hide the loops?

I have tried to figure out how to do this. I have also fancied the idea of adding a kind of selvage to the sides and sewing the edge closed somehow… kind of making a tiny tube along the sides that can hide the loops.

I am pretty new to crochet and have only been knitting for about a year.

I have problems with the ends I weave in always working their way free at the tip. I can weave the ends back in, but when I give away scarves, I don’t know that the recipient will do this and will stop wearing the scarf because of ratty ends coming out.

I think you could. :think: Make sure the ends are woven in though so it won’t unravel.

Another thing you could do is to break the yarn at each change since the stipes are quite wide, then when you start the new color you catch in the tails of the colors by knitting over and under them. I can’t explain this very well, but maybe you can find information about how to knit over ends as you work by doing a search of some sort.

I saw someone carry the threads all the way down the side on Knitty Gritty and leave it that way as a decorative edging. :slight_smile: