Two color circular knitting?

Hello!

I am essentially knitting a big black stockinette stitch tube with orange squares.

However, I am a beginner and having trouble getting the second color to join up. The top and bottom of the orange square connects into the black but the left and right sides don’t join and turn into button holes.

I have looked at the two color knitting videos on KH.com but because I am knitting continuously around and around without flipping the work the video is not helping.

Can someone please tell me what I am forgetting to do in order to get the second color to join in with the main color?

Can someone please tell me what I am forgetting to do in order to get the second color to join in with the main color?

Knitting flat.

Color work like this is difficult to do in the round because your color is at the wrong end of the block when you come around to the color again. You would need to cut the other color and start a new end each time. Or knit flat.

I can do stripes easily in the round (and avoid the color jog, YAY!) but to put an actual pattern in there I found is pretty hard unless you find inventive ways of making sure that color is back where you need it on your next pass.

I am currently doing a skull cap (with the skull pattern) by just cutting a long strand of yarn and joining it in for that round. Yes, there will be tons to tie in, but what can I do? My son wants one.