Twisted Stitch Pattern

Hi, I’m new to the board. I’ve been watching the great videos to help me with some techniques.

I printed out a free pattern and bought the yarn to knit it up but in my swatching I’ve had trouble with the left slanted twist. Here’s a link to see what I mean:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer07/PATTtangerinetwist.html

The pattern goes:
[I]T2L: Knit into back of second stitch on left needle, knit into front of first stitch on left needle, drop both stitches from left needle.

T2R: Knit into front of second stitch on left needle, knit into front of first stitch on left needle, drop both stitches from left needle.[/I]

The right slanted twisted stitches are the same size as the rest of the stitches but the left slanted ones are large and loopy. I’ve tried many different ways of tightening my yarn, etc. but still get that effect.

I see by the closer up photo down towards the bottom of the pattern that some of their left slanted stitches are slightly different but not nearly what mine are.

Does anyone have any advice or know of a video demonstration online that could show me a better way of doing this stitch?

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Marina

Have you only done a few of these, or done them just on one row? As with cables, they may look weird until you do several of them. Then the yarn relaxes and evens out. Also, when you’re done, washing and/or blocking helps even out the stitches.

Hi Sue

I was swatching and did a five inch wide swatch that ended up being about a foot long by the time I had decided what needles to use. It did get slightly better but I still didn’t like the look of it. Blocking certainly may help but I was wondering if I was doing it wrong somehow and hoping to find a video demonstration.

M

If you followed the directions, knitting into the 2nd st first, front or back, then into the 1st st, you did it right.