Twisted Cable Shell

If I leave the stitches on a stitch holder, won’t I have a hole when reattaching the yarn? It says do the sides (it says short rows, but there is no turning, so I think this means the sides have a fewer number of stitches). It says put the middle 36 rows on a stitch holder, but I am afraid if I do that, how do I not have a hole when I reattach? Am I missing something or do I just do the short rows on the side and knit the middle anyway without using a stitch holder? The following are the instructions for that portion, there is more to it, but I wanted to show you enough to understand

*Attach yarn, use either the circular needles that the stitches are on or switch to straight
needles.
Row 1: K2, (P2, K2) repeat across. . Remember TIP
Row 2: P2, (K2, P2) repeat across.
Repeat Rows 1 & 2 until front is 6.5", 7" (7.5").
FRONT NECK SHAPING
Place center 22, 28,(36) sts on a Stitch Holder
LEFT SHOULDER SHORT ROWS
Row 1: P1, (K2, P2) 3, 4, (5) times, K2.
Row 2: Slip 2 with yarn in front, (K2, P2) 3, 4, (5) times, K1
Row 3: P1, (K2, P2) 2, 3, (4) times, K2.
Row 4: Slip 2 with yarn in front, (K2, P2) 2, 3,(4) times, K1
Row 5: P1, (K2, P2) 1, 2, (3) times, K2.
Row 6: Slip 2 with yarn in front, (K2, P2) 1, 2, (3) times, K1
Work in pattern even until Front is same length as Back, place remains sts on Stitch
Holder.
RIGHT SHOULDER SHORT ROWS
Starting on WS, attach yarn.
Row 1: K1, (P2, K2) 3, 4, (5) times, P2.
Row 2: Slip 2 with yarn in front, (K2, P2) 3, 4, (5) times, K1

This is for shaping the neck. It doesn’t explicitly say it but you’re essentially putting both the center stitches and the right shoulder stitches on holders. (The way it’s worded, she’s leaving the right shoulder stitches on the needle but ignoring them until she finishes the left shoulder. Once you’ve worked the left shoulder, you’ll work the right shoulder. I’m guessing further down in the pattern it has you connect the front/back at the shoulders. I would think the pattern will then have you pickup stitches all around the neck opening, sliding those 36 front neck stitches off the holder and back in place on the needle as you work your way around. Then when you knit around, there are not going to be any holes.