Turning edge

I’m ready to start knitting something more then scarves, now that everyone I know has one that I made them. The new project I’m working on has directions
Row 5: K 1 row.
Turning edge: Row 6 & 7: k 1 row, p 1 row.
Next ridge: Rows 8, 9, 10, 11: P 1 row, k 1 row, p 1 row, k 1 row.
Repeat rows 6 through 11.
What does turning edge and Next ridge mean? This website has been so useful, I have recomended it to every knitter i know. I would still be knitting scarves if it wasn’t for this site, and i’m sure my family will appreciate something new for christmas…like dishcloths. lol and hopefully this little snowman ornament.
Thanks for you help

What are you trying to make? Can you post the pattern or a picture of it to help? From reading the pattern it looks like you are working bands of stockinette and reverse stockinette.

Here is a link to the pattern, hope it helps

http://www.frugalhaus.com/homepage/bbsnow.htm

After reading the pattern, the first thing I would say is to follow Ingrid’s sage advice “Trust the pattern!”. Follow the pattern exactly as it is written and basically ignore the part where it says turning ridge and the chest bubble. All those are indicating is what part of the snowman you are working on. The first time you do rows 6&7, that is where the body stops getting bigger, and goes straight up… it turns like the bottom of a bag, KWIM? The second time you do rows 6&7, it’s just to create a ridged pattern on the snowman’s body. Likewise, for the chest bubble part, you will be decreasing to make the body cinch in so that you can start his chest.

HTH,

thank you. it worked out just fine, i guess i’m learning knitting lingo pretty slowly. lol i just wanted to make sure it didn’t stand for something specific, i feel little silly now, its so simple. appreciate it, and i’m sure i will have more questions, and its good to know that if i can’t find it, there are very helpful people here ^^