Turning a heel

I am making a stocking and the pattern says HEEL work 13 rows of 32 stitches on dp needles. This is completed. Now TURN HEEL P18, P2tog, P1, turn;
sl 1, K5, sl1, K1, psso, K1, turn; sl 1, P6, P2tog, P1, turn; sl 1, K7, sl 1, psso, K1, turn; P8, P2tog, P1, turn. Continue in this manner to work 1 stitch more each time until all sts have been worked, ending with a K row - 18 sts.

My question is what does it mean to work “continue in this manner to work 1 stitch more each time? How am I working the stitch and where?

Hello
If you look through the instruction there is a k5, a p6, a k7, a p8. So on each row there is an increase of how many are worked before working 2 sts tog as either a skp on the knit side or a p2 tog on the purl side.
The next row then will be on the knit side and will be a k9 between the slip and the skp and the row later will be p10 between the slip and the p2tog.

You will stop when you have 18 sts on the needle.

I hope this helps. Do ask again if it is still unclear.

Welcome to the forum!
Here’s a video that may help (see especially after 12:00min where she explains the heel turn).

Whether you’re working purl rows or knit rows doesn’t matter. The idea is to keep decreasing along a line toward each side of the sock until you’ve used up all of the sts that have been haning out on the needle waiting to become part of the decreases that form the heel curve.
1 Like

Thanks I really appreciate the help this is my first stocking for my grandson.

1 Like

You’re welcome. I hope we get to see a photo when you’re finished.

Thanks. I was able to get it to work and so happy. Learning something new with this pattern every day.

1 Like

That’s one of the wonderful things about knitting, learning with each pattern. Good going but be aware, socks can be addictive!

Lol. My mom has made probably 80 or more of this particular pattern since I was maybe 8 or 9 for all her kids grandkids extended family and now she has found it difficult in her 80s to knit but I wanted to make them for my one grandchild and will need to make another one for next year as my daughter is having another baby in March. I only have one daughter so might not have to do too many. Lol. Will send a pic when I am done.

2 Likes

Congratulations on the expected baby and the current grandchild! You’re going to be a pro at socks.