Turn?

I’m making my first pair of gloves, actually they are fingerless. The pattern says “k30, turn.” And then the next row I have to cast on. Do I literally turn the knitting around and sort of knit backwards or what? Please help!

You turn as if you’re at the end of the row, then cast on sts, either using knitted or cable cast on. Since I don’t know what you do after casting on, you would either turn again and go on, or knit/purl across the new sts and the 30 you just made.

How do I turn though because I still have stitches on the needle? Do I just turn the work around and go backwards or do I twist it?

You turn the whole thing around, including the needles.

You’re knitting from the left needle to the right needle; when you turn at the end of a row, you move the right needle to your left hand (and unattached left needle to your right hand), and the side of the work that’s facing you is the one that was facing away before. When you turn in the middle of a row, you still move the right needle to your left hand and the left needle to your right hand, and the side of the work that’s facing you is the one that was facing away before; the only difference is that the one needle is still attached to the work, and has stitches. But once it’s turned, you just knit like normal, as if the remaining stitches were ones you’d already knit.

(I’m kind of tempted to do lame ascii artwork illustration here, but won’t :slight_smile: )

Just put the needle that was in your right hand in your left hand, and the one that was in your left hand in your right hand. Your work will turn 180 degrees (just like it does when you finish a row and turn it). It’s ok if there are still stitches on the needle (I think it’s called doing a “short row” maybe google “Short Row Ribbed Scarf” I’m making that now and it has decent instructions about turning), you just knit along the stitches you just knitted (if that makes sense… say you k5, turn; so then the next row you do, you’ll be working on those 5 stitches you just did before the turn, no matter how many you didn’t touch before)

Your clear descriptions of how to ‘turn’ were perfectly timed for my newest project of finger puppets for my daughter. Thank you!