Trying to do Seed stitch but getting 1x1 ribbing

So, my problem is exactly what the subject line says. The 1x1 ribbing I am getting looks amazingly good (I think) for a beginner, but since it isn’t what I am trying to do, I’m confused. I feel like I’ve tried everything. :wall:

• At first, everything was a twisted mess and I couldn’t do any stitches. Someone here suggested that I move the yarn from front to back between stitches. That helped a [B]LOT[/B]–no more twisted mess and I could actually form neat rows.

• I frogged the first square (it was a mess) and started again trying to do Seed stitch with 20 stitches across. That one came out beter, but I started getting the ribbing after a few rows, which was confusing. Someone here suggested that, when learning Seed stitch, to try casting on an odd number of stitches so that every row starts with a knit stitch.

• I started the square I have now by casting on 21 stitches. Like I said, I have lovely 1x1 ribbing, but I’m not getting the Seed pattern. It was my understanding that the idea was to “knit the purls and purl the knits” when doing Seed stitch. So, I have done k1, p1 across and ended on a knit. When starting the second row, I did p1, k1 acorss and ended on a purl. By starting the second row with a purl instead of a knit, is that what I am doing wrong? I dropped and added a lot of stitches in the first two squares, but have taken extra special care not to do that with this one. After several rows, it is still 21 across, so I know I have the right number of stitches and I have not messed up my alteration.

TIA :grphug:

Knit the purl sts and purl the knit sts…you should have an uneven st count to make it work, which is your 21 sts. What you’re doing to make the rib is purling the purls and knitting the knits.

On your second row you would begin with a knit stitch instead of purl.

Ok, so I cast on and do one row of k1, p1 ending on a knit. So, I’m supposed to insert my empty needle back in and start with a purl, correct?

If so, that is what I have attempted to do (and what I am pretty sure I am doing) but I’m still getting the ribbing. Sorry if I’m not following you correctly… I bet I’m missing something.

When you’re on the right side, you kpkpkp- that produces, on the wrong side a pkpkpk, so when you turn over to do the wrong side, you will kpkpkp, instead of pkpkpk. Try it, it’ll work. You will actually always start each row with a knit stitch.

Okay, what you describe is what I really honestly thought I was doing. So, I guess I’ll frog it and try again… I just wish I knew where I went wrong this time.

You start a row with the same stitch you did on the last stitch of the previous row. So if you end with a purl, start with a purl; end with a knit, start with a knit. And it’s really better to learn what your stitches look like so you know that if you see a knit st you purl it and knit what looks like a purl [B]on the row you’re working on. [/B]

Thank you, I wondered if that was maybe the case.

I am trying to learn what a knit stitch looks like vs. a purl stitch. I can recognize them now as I am working in the previous row, but I can’t just look at a FO and see them yet. That’s what practice is for though, right? :mrgreen:

I did it! I worked on my square during my lunch break and was finally able to get the Seed stitch pattern to show! I feel really confident that now I can handle all of the others that are out there. Many big thanks to those of you who helped me figure this out. :slight_smile:

That is your main problem. Until you get used to what each stitch looks like, you are going to lose your place or forget what st comes next. Once you know what it looks like, just remember if you get stuck to look at the stitch below where you are knitting and if it is a knit stitch, purl, if it is a purl stitch knit. Do the opposite stitch of what is there. As long as you do this and have an odd number of cast on sts you should be fine.

I messed up on seed stitch, too. I finally figured out (by watching the video several times – doink) that I was casting on an even number of stitches instead of an odd number which changes the effect. Very cool stitch, that. What sort of project would you use that for?

Seed stitch (moss stitch) looks really lovely as an edging for babies matinee jackets and bonnets etc as in do the first 8 - 10 rows in it before going onto the pattern.

dont forget that you can do seed stitch over evenn numbers of stitches too.

as it faces you (on the side you will be working, if it looks like a knit stitch (a v) then you purl it, if it looks like a purl stitch (a -) then you knit it.
You are looking at the shape imediately underneath the loop on your needle. The way i thought of it when i was learning, was that the loop on the needle was a snowmans head. right underneath and going around the bottom of the loop was a v shape. That was snowmans scarf and was a knit stitch. If i say a scarf i was looking at a knit stitch, if it was a straight bar going across the bottom of the loop, (snowmans collar or noose) then it was a purl stitch.

Thanks for this, it is really helpful! I noticed that some stitches looked like V’s and some looked like -'s, but I hadn’t paid very close attention to which one was which. I’m a visual learner, so comparing them to shapes for me really helps. I think that I will think about it like this from now on.

That’s what helps a person become a confident and good knitter; learning to read the stitches and understand how they go together to make any sort of stitch pattern. It really helps if you just take leftover yarn and `play’ with it, knit some ribbing, seed st, do increases and decreases, and see what it does when you do that.

It sounds like seed stitch is what the English call moss stitch.

On the odd or even number of sts. - I agree that it doesn’t matter. Just [U]read the fabric[/U]. Put a bump or a V where you need them to be. Sometimes in getting the piece to be the needed size or in increasing or decreasing one can’t depend on an odd or even number of sts. You say you’re a visual learner - just right for reading the fabric. Some people struggle with it. You won’t.

Have fun!

Seed or moss stitch is great for edges, because it lies flat. You can make a blanket or scarf with stockinette stitch and a border of seed stitch or garter stitch (but I like the way seed stitch looks better) and it won’t curl in on itself. If you make a stockinette scarf with no edge, it will curl into a tube.

Keep looking at your stitches to be able to recognize them, as well as their orientation on the needle (is the stitch on the needle backwards, ie with the leading edge at the back instead of the front?). Did you pick up extra plies in the yarn of the stitch below(that happens to me a lot, now I recognize it and can fix it).

Making a few washcloths in different patterns, or a “sampler” scarf to try out different patterns, is a great way to get used to how the stitches look. :slight_smile:

Erica, I can empathize with you! I did a hat once that was supposed to have ribbing and I ended up with seed st. I kept pulling it out and trying over but I finally just did the hat with the seed st. :roflhard: It was a funny looking hat! :aww:

I did finally get it right after lots of practice. It’s easier to see if you use worsted wt in a light color to practice b/c the st are easier to see. Once you get the hang of it, use whatever the pattern calls for.

Bambi

This is actually exactly what I’ve been using, as it is all I have left over from my last crochet project. You are absolutely right, though! :slight_smile: It is much easier to see when using a light colored worsted weight yarn.

I started looking at my stitches in terms of “dashes” and “Vs” and now I know which is which. I still have trouble figuring out what is wrong if one is twisted or something. I know enough to know that it is wrong and doesn’t look the way it ought to, but I’m not great at fixing them yet. And yes, I still have more trouble than I think I ought to with picking up partial plies from the yarn. :mrgreen:

Good Early Morning,
To answer your question of when you would use it, I am presently using it in the border of the “Leaves of Lothlorien” Blanket pattern authored by Claire-Clutterbug on Ravelry. Such a legendary pattern and so excited to be executing it. My new baby grand neice and her mom (my neice-in-law) are going to love it! I am so happy that Claire posted it because as one admiring member wrote, " it is a true heirloom pattern. Anyway, that is my real world example of the English Moss Stitch or Seed Stitch. Best wishes, H0t