Trouble with a front opening edge

Hello

I have started a baby crossover cardigan and I am relatively new to knitting. There is a section I just don’t understand and I would appreciate some help. The troublesome instructions are:
Commence pattern
1st row (wrong side) - K6, (P2, P2tog tbl)1 time. P to marker, sl marker to right needle, K1 (P4 K1)twice, slip marker to right needle, P to end.

2nd row - K to marker, sl marker to right needle, P1, C4B, P1. C4F, P1, slip marker to right needle, K to last 10 sts, sl 1, k1, psso, k8.

3rd row - k6. (P2, p2tog tbl)1 time. P to marker, sl marker to right needle, k1 (p4, k1)twice, slip marker to right needle, p to end.

4th row - K to marker, sl marker to right needle. P1 (k4, p1)twice, slip marker to right needle, k to last 10 stitches, sl 1, k1, psso, k8.

These 4 rows set cable patt (worked between markers) and front slope shaping (worked 2sts inside front opening g.st border)
Keeping sts correct as set and working all decreases as set, dec 1st at front opening edge on next 2 rows, then on every following alt row until 38 sts remain

Work 1 row this finishing on a wrong side.

I’m just confused as to what to do as it doesn’t seem to fit with when it then wants me to start shaping the armholes. I originally start with 53 sts.

If anyone can help it will be really appreciated, I have a feeling I might be missing something really obvious.

Thanks

Welcome!
This sounds like the left front of a cardigan. I’ve underlined the garter stitch border. The armhole edge is in italics and that’s where the armhole shaping takes place. You will probably be shaping both the front edge and the armhole edge at the same time so keep track of both with a paper and pencil or row counter.

1st row (wrong side) - [U]K6[/U], (P2, P2tog tbl)1 time. P to marker, sl marker to right needle, K1 (P4 K1)twice, slip marker to right needle, [I]P to end[/I].

2nd row - [I]K to marker[/I], sl marker to right needle, P1, C4B, P1. C4F, P1, slip marker to right needle, K to last 10 sts, sl 1, k1, psso, [U]k8[/U].

3rd row - [U]k6[/U]. (P2, p2tog tbl)1 time. P to marker, sl marker to right needle, k1 (p4, k1)twice, slip marker to right needle, [I]p to end[/I].

4th row - [I]K to marker[/I], sl marker to right needle. P1 (k4, p1)twice, slip marker to right needle, k to last 10 stitches, sl 1, k1, psso, [U]k8[/U].

Can you give us a pattern link or tell us the pattern name please?

Then pattern name is: crossover cardigan and shawl in Wendy Peter Pan DK. Pattern number P947

I guess what I’m really wondering is in the instructions straight after the pattern where it says to Dec 1st at front opening edge for 2 rows and then every following alt row…am I decreasing the very first/last stitch at that edge and do I then have 1 less stitch in the garter stitch border each time? Or do I still need to knit the 6/8 stitches in the pattern?

Thanks

The decreases should be 8sts in from the edge. Keep the 6stitch garter border and the next 2sts (stockinette stitch) then do the decrease. The pattern shows the P2tog tbl in that position and wants you to continue the decreases there (rows 1 and 3).