Trouble understanding the pattern

After working 8 rows in stocking stitch (22 stitches), the next step is this:

Slip stitch knit-wise, inc, purl 1 stitch, knit stitch. Repeat section inside stars a further 4 times. Purl 0 (1), inc, purl 0 (1), knit 1, repeat section inside stars a further 4 times. Purl 1, inc, purl 1. - 25 (27) stitches.

With 22 stitches that I have on the needle now, when I follow the pattern, I only have enough stitches until the second repeat of the Star section. However it matches the pattern of having 25 stitches. Does that mean I ignore the last part “purl 1, inc, purl 1”?

Welcome to the forum!
Can you tell us the name of the pattern you’re using?
Also, forum posts have a difficult time with stars or asterisks. Could you type out the row again using parentheses instead? There does seem to be something wrong with the stitch count. I’m assuming you’re making the first size?

Thanks!

This pattern is from Wool and the Gang, for it’s Hey Now Clutch bag. Yes, I am making the first size.

Slip stitch knit-wise, inc, (purl 1 stitch, knit 1 stitch) Repeat section inside parentheses a further 4 times. Purl 0 (1), inc, purl 0 (1), knit 1, repeat section inside parentheses a further 4 times. Purl 1, inc, purl 1. - 25 (27) stitches.

This is my first knitting attempt… Appreciate any help!

Thanks!

One problem might be the kind of increase that you’re using. Don’t increase in a stitch (knit front and back for example). Work a M1 which doesn’t use a stitch.

For the first size the row is:
Slip stitch knit-wise, inc, (purl 1 stitch, knit 1 stitch) Repeat section inside parentheses a further 4 times. inc, knit 1, repeat section inside parentheses 4 times. Purl 1, inc, purl 1. - 25 stitches.
That starts with 22sts and leaves you with 25.

Thank you! I will try your suggestion!