Trish's blather

I keep thinking I need to start a blog, because I seem to want to make comments about what I’m working on.

Today:

Mostly finished the cardi in my sig. Took it over to my mom’s so she could admire, and I gave her the pair of Fetching I made for her. (whoops, no photo) She saw at least three dumb mistakes I made. The baby won’t care, but I feel guilty giving this as a gift to my boss. I did find a set of CUTE buttons - little blue puppy faces. I think I’m going to unply and braid the yarn to make loops for around the buttons, so the darn splitty yarn won’t be a pain.

I cast on my first set of socks! I’m using Silver’s Sock Class, which came highly recommended. I’m using this in “chili” because I got it on sale for $3.29 a skein. I’m irritated that my JoAnn’s only has four colorways. I like subdued colors, and all they’ve got is pinks and bright blues.

How in the world do people enjoy this? The needles are teensy and the yarn is fiddly. I knitted in the round for Fetching, so I thought I was ready. After two rounds, my stitches are a lot looser than I like - the 2x2 rib isn’t making me happy. I will persevere though! Considering how fiddly 2x2 rib is, my totally unorthodox purling method, and how tiny the needles are, I’m going to make myself learn Norwegian purling. Otherwise, a) this is going to be an ankle sock, and b) Second Sock Syndrome is going to set in.

More later - back to fiddling with the yarn and pointy sticks now that DH has gone off to bed.

Hmm.

The first attempt at a sock got frogged after 3 rounds - I picked up a stitch, or dropped one, or something. Plus, it was really really loose, and looked more like a tangle than knitting. I modified my normally ham-fisted purling into something a little more delicate, and I’ve got my tight tension back, so 4 rounds in the second attempt, I’ve got something that’s starting to look like ribbing.

I’m using sock yarn and size 2 needles. Wow, is this different from worsted-weight stockinette. My only complaint about this tutorial is that the dictated division of stitches makes the first stitches on two of the needles purl stitches. Blah. I would rotate the whole thing two stitches, but… Not sure about it.

Well, it’s late - time to gather up the dogs, and head to bed.

[quote=TrishL1975;1204150]
I cast on my first set of socks!
How in the world do people enjoy this? The needles are teensy and the yarn is fiddly.

Hi Trish,
I have just started my first pair of socks and I doing it with magic loop which, once you get the hang of it,is fairly easy. I’m using worsted wool and size 4 needles and it’s going fairly quickly. I’m doing this in a class at my lys which is why it’s going so well for me.
Good luck with your socks.

I prefer two circs for socks myself. If I use DPNs I prefer the short 5 inch ones.

I did try Magic Loop for the gloves - bigger needles, and worsted weight yarn, but it drove me nuts. I don’t even think the big box store have circs in a 2. I’ve got control over my stitches, and I suppose eventually I will quit being a Luddite, but for now, DPNs are okay.

I am not liking this colorway - the mauve is driving me nuts. Too much pink!

So I have fled to swatching worsted wool on size 7 needles… at least that I can do mindlessly. Nice soft, springy wool… nice.

Swatched the yarn, and washed it too. I’m pleased by how the swatch turned out, but I am all conflicted on the pattern.

My math must be screwy, but I’m getting a size L = the size S I was going to cast on. I think I see where most of the increases that give the L such a bigger size are, but this is supposed to be tight, and I was looking for negative ease. At the same time, I am ridiculously proportioned (37 in bust and 26 in waist) and I love the look of the off-the-shoulder neckline, (Which Wendy herself said it wasn’t designed to do) so I think I may cast on a L, and then decrease down to a M in the waist shaping. That still leaves another 10 inches to be knit even, so it’ll hit my waist right and my weirdo hips, as well. Of course, I wanted it to be a shorty cardigan, (heck, I think I’d prefer it as a pullover, but I think the button band adds definition and interest) so maybe I’ll decrease every 4 rounds instead of every 6 - that’ll put the minimum closer to my actual waist.

Don’t mind me, I’m just talking to myself…

I was always shaped the same way. I had a 21 in waist when I got married… :shock: Nothing ever fit quite right.

Oh my goodness Jan, I don’t think I’ve had a waist that small since I was, oh, 10.

I was originally going to come post about how I hate 2x2 ribbing, but I think that was just first-couple-of-rows hate talking. I’m cruising along nicely, and pretty soon I’m going to have to decide how many times I want to increase for the raglan… Since I’m making it really big in the neckline, it’s going to sit lower than designed, so I’m thinking about increasing a lot less, so the armholes aren’t halfway down my ribs.

But still, springy wool! Very comforting, even if it’s black, and I can’t see the stitches well…

Apparently, I was so sleepy last night that I read “work even for 1 row” as “work even for 1 inch”

So I merrily went on my way, not realizing that I was supposed to be increasing. Increasing!

This meant I just ripped 6 rows - I tinked the last so I wouldn’t have to mess with trying to catch up with totally dropped stitches. And then of COURSE I twisted some stitches around picking them up, so in the new row I had to knit AND purl through the back loop to straighten some of them out. INteresting.

On to row two (or the work even row) and then on to increasing. I don’t even want to think about how I need to increase, and how much, and how am I going to modify this pattern… not right now. I might be tempted to go back to socks.

At least this is lovely wool, and not splitty.

20+ rows into the yoke, and I think this is going to end up frogged.

That modifying-the-pattern I was talking about? Yeah, it’s throwing me for a loop. While there’s a line in the book that says, [I]“This Cardigan is designed to sit off the shoulders”[/I], Wendy herself said (in the Knit and Tonic forum on Ravelry) that the photographer pulled it WAY down the model’s shoulders, and it wasn’t meant to be that extreme. Well, I like it that way. So, I figured I’d cast on a larger size, shorten the yoke, and in doing so, move to the correct size under the arms. But then, I have my wonky gauge working against me, which is off stitch-wise, but not row-wise, and I have to keep reminding myself that I need to end up with the [I]equivalent[/I] number of stitches, so I think the yoke is going to end up really long. I’m going to work the yoke totally, take off the live stitches for the sleeves, and then try on - if it’s too long, I’m frogging and casting on the 3XL, and working the increases to the equivalent of the medium. The cast-on for 3XL is under 27 inches for stockinette, and will shrink in ribbing, so there is NO way I’ll end up with a gaping neck.

Of course, trying on is going to involve interesting things like moving stitches to another needle, since my ribs are bigger around than my needle is long.

Of course, with the complaints, there are some good things. I reversed two of the cables to satisfy my symmetry issues, and with this wool, the cables and ribs are really popping. I’m really pleased with the resulting fabric, and it’s a pleasure to work with. There’s hardly any splitting, and it isn’t fuzzing at all. Yay!