Trinity Stitch Shawl Pattern Help

Hello:

I’m brand new to knitting, have done 2 scarves and I’d like to do a shawl for myself for summer. I’ve looked up the abbreviations but I’m very confused as to how to read this; I don’t know what some of it means - e.g. do I purl only 3 stitches in row 2? How can I have a knit1 and a purl 1 in the same stitch; I thought i action=1 stitch? Can someone please help me understand? Thank you!

Cast on 1 st.
Row 1 (WS): (K1, p1, k1) in st.

Row 2 (RS): Purl.

Row 3: (K1, p1) in first st, (k1, p1, k1) in next st, (p1, k1) in last st.

Row 4: Purl.

Row 5: (K1, p1) in first st, (k1, p1, k1) in next st, * p3 tog, (k1, p1,
k1) in next st; rep from * across to last st, (p1, k1) in last st.

Repeat Rows 4 and 5 to desired depth, measuring from center bottom point to top edge. End with a Row 4. If finishing with fringe, cast off loosely in knit; if finishing shawl with lace edging, leave the sts on needle (to be bound off later with edging stitches.)

xplain what this means?

Hi and welcome!
Yes, in row 2, purl all the sts. In this pattern, that’s 3 sts.
To k, p, k into the same stitch, knit as normal but don’t drop the stitch off the left needle, swing the right needle tip around so that you can purl into the same loop and then move the tip of the right needle back so that you can knit the same stitch and then drop the stitch off the left needle. This video will make it clearer:

To k, p into a single stitch, just do the first two parts of the video.

How about a steeked sweater? To me, that is the pinnacle of knitting (well, that and Estonia lace).

You can choose difficulty level on Ravelry. Have you tried that?

Antares, I think you meant to put your reply in the Challenge thread…

HI there! Thanks so much Salmonmac! It’s going to take a minute to decipher that :slight_smile: but I do appreciate the clarification. I’ve been putting off getting started - daunting you know. Thanks again.