Tree of life afghan

On row one of the trees there are repeats of 40 stitches. No matter how much I figure it out, I have the 180 stitches but the chart comes out to 160. What am I doing wrong?

Hi, what’s not mentioned is that you have to have 4 stitches (purls on RS rows) at the beginning and between each set of 40 pattern stitches. Try that, and good luck!

1 Like

I’m sill left with extra stitches. I’m confused

It comes to 176 with the 4 stitches at each end but thee are 180 stitches.

1 Like

I made this afghan and since I couldn’t open the pattern this morning, I counted sts in the afghan itself.

You have 4 repeats of the 40 stitch chart. There are 4 sts between the charts and 4sts at the beginning of the row and 4 sts at the end of row (20sts) as vanityplate said. So 180 is the correct number for the cast on and set up row.
4-40-4-40-4-40-4-40-4sts
It’s makes it all easier if you use markers between the repeats. Enjoy knitting this lovely blanket.

2 Likes

I didn’t notice the 4 stitches BEETWEEN the pattern! Thank you,!

the tree portion would make a fantastic drop edge to a bed coverlet !

1 Like

I have made this afghan many times although I removed the flowers, hated them, and added my own design. The stitch count is off. It is actually 176 stitches. When I worked it out everything just kind of came together.

That’s curious, clairebear. I’ve done this one too and I used 180 as given in the pattern and mentioned above.

The 180 worked for me!

Fantastic! Enjoy knitting this afghan. I still have and use mine.

addendum to this post: and you also have to finish each row with the 4 extra stitches.

Works out great

I love hearing that! Hope the rest goes smoothly. There are also tutorials available online for various parts of this afghan.