Towards Mid Front

Hi was wondering if someone could help me with this as it is hurting my brain.

The pattern is:

Its a bolero. I just did the back piece and want to start the right front.

It says:

Cast on 5-7-9-11-13 sts (incl 1 edge st at side) on needle size 7 mm with Symphony. Knit stocking sts, at the same time inc towards mid front on every other row as follows: 2 sts 4-4-4-5-6 times and 1 st 6-7-8-8-8 times. At the same time inc at side as done for back piece. After all inc are complete = 22-25-28-32-36 sts.

I am a little confused about where I should inc the stitches when it says toward mid front? I am guessing that I need to do it on the right on the right side but do I do it after the first 5 on so its right over then on top of that add on the side stiches it says as done for back? Would love someones take on this as sometimes knitting instructions really hurt my brain.

Thanks

This first front you are making is the right front. That means the part that will be on the right front of your body as you are wearing the bolero. You only start with a small number of stitches but one side of those is going to be under your arm and the other side the middle of your body. When you hold it up to yourself and have the right side facing out you want to add the stitches for the part where it says “toward mid front” to the part that will be in the middle of your body. You keep building that side up every other row.

At the same time you will be doing the shaping it gave for the sides in the back only you will only do it on the one side, the one that goes under your right arm.

The back says:

When piece measures 4 cm inc 1 st each side on every 3 cm a total of 3 times = 60-66-72-80-88 sts. When piece measures 12-13-14-15-16 cm dec for armhole each side on every other row: 3 sts 1 time, 2 sts 0-1-1-2-2 times and 1 st 2-1-2-2-4 times = 50-54-58-62-66 sts.

So you will be adding 2 or 1 stitch on the front edge every other row and at the same time adding 1 st at the underarm side every 3 cm 3 times and then when the piece measures 12-16 cm (depending on the size) you will dec on the armhole side 3 sts once, 2 sts 0-2 times and then 1 st 1-4 times. When that is all done you should have 22-25-28-32-36 sts (depending on the size you are making).

Thank you for taking the time to explain that to me. It makes much more sense now.

Thank you :slight_smile:

You’re welcome.