Total frustration

Can someone please help me figure out this instruction. I am a medium knitter but I just don’t understand these decreases.
Dec on both sides every 6 rws 4 x 1 s and every 4 rws 7 x 1 s (every 6 rws 7 x 1 s and every 4 rws 4 x 1 s)at8rws1x1sandevery6rws9x1s(every8rws 3x1sandevery6rws7x1s)every8rws3x1sand every 6 rws 8 x 1 s (every 8 rws 3 x 1 s and every 6 rws 9 x 1 s). It remains 54 (58) 64 (68) 70 (72) s.

Hi and welcome!
What pattern are you using and which size are you making (the 1st, 2nd … size)?
In general the instructions mean to work a dec of one stitch every x many rows and repeat y times.
So for the smallest size (bold),
6 rws 4 x 1 s and every 4 rws 7 x 1 s (every 6 rws 7 x 1 s and every 4 rws 4 x 1 s)
if you call the next row, row 1 you would decrease on rows 6,12,18,24 and then rows 28,32,36,40,44,48 and 52.

Then it becomes difficult to read your post. It looks like below for the last 4 sizes.
Maybe “at 8rws 1x1s and every 6rws 9x1s (every 8rws 3x1s and every 6rws (7x1s)
every 8rws 3x1s and every 6 rws 8 x 1 s (every 8 rws 3 x 1 s and every 6 rws 9 x 1 s).”

How many sts did you start this section with? The smallest size ends with 54sts.

Thank you for your quick response. It is lovely to know someone is there to help.
This is the baby dress I want to knit and the decreases are to shape the skirt to the yoke.

I am making the smallest size.
I get that I decrease every 6 rows. The next bit “and every 4 rws 7x1s” is con fusing me. I think you are telling me I decrease one stitch at the beginning and end of every sixth row, four times then decrease one stitch at the beginning and end of every fourth row seven times? If I have got it right thank you soooooo much. I wanted to knit a different pattern but gave up because it had a similar type of instruction. (If in doubt give up and start something new, hoping some where along the line a light will go on!)
Thank you again and again

Kath Chalmers
Vancouver Canada

1 Like

Yes, that’s it exactly. And yes, it is one stitch on each end of the dec rows. If you check the number of sts you start with and total up the number of decreases, you should be able to confirm that you end with the total number of sts given. Darling dress! We’d love to see a photo when you finish.

Hi
I am hoping you can help me with another problem. I am knitting the little bolero that matches the sundress. The body is knit in one piece starting at the back bottom, up to the neck then it splits to do each of the fronts separately. I am coming down the left front and I have to add stitches for the underarm but the instruction stumps me. It says:

"At a) 21.5 cm (76 rows) b) 23.5 cm (82 rows) c) 26.5cm (92 rows) of total height, form the armhole by increasing to the left (outer side) 1x1 stitches, then 2x1 stitches, 1x2 stitches and 1x3 stitches every 2 rows.

This is the pattern picture

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kathleen

When you’ve gotten to the appropriate height or row number for the size you’re making, increase at the armhole edge, one stitch on row 1, 3 and 5, then 2sts on row 7 and finally 3sts row 9. It might be best to use a knit or a cable cast on at the armhole edge for all of these.

Thanks, I didn’t think to read it that way. I will definitely have to send you a picture for your help. The dress is finished and blocked and I just have to finish the bolero. You might have guessed, I was taught to knit using the old style patterns and the British way (throwing method)of knitting many years ago and this type of shorthand is totally foreign to me. The last time I did any serious knitting was for my 37 year old daughter. These items are for her brand new daughter. I guess I have a lot to catch up on.

Gratefully,
Kathleen

It is really beautiful what is the name of the pattern?

I found the pattern on line but be aware, it is in french. Below is the front page.

Sorry i do not see anything below.

Let’s try again

I think this will take you to the French pattern, I hope!

Yes thank you

Oh how I wish I could read read French :slightly_frowning_face:

I would love to be able to knit this! :blush:

My daughter speaks French but does not knit. I am only a part time knitter so this has been an adventure for both of us. We did consider posting what we managed to translate in english but we would have to post large ‘Knit at your own risk signs’. :grimacing:

Love that pattern. There are somewhat similar ones on Ravelry and in English which might work.

1 Like

Thanks for the similar patterns.