Total Beginner - Help!

Hi everyone! I’m a complete & utter beginner (I was given a “knit your own teddy” kit as a gift, so I’m trying to learn how to knit so I can actually try and make a teddy for my unborn niece/nephew due in a few months, although I think I’m somewhat in over my head!)
I’ve read previous threads on this forum and understand most of the the abbreviations now I think, but one thing is confusing me: my pattern says k6 (k2tog) 13 times, K16 (sl1 k1, psso) 13 times, k6 (54sts). What does “13 times” actually mean? I initially thought it meant I was supposed to repeat the instructions13 times, but I don’t have enough stitches for that, so it must mean something else!
Can somebody help?

What does “13 times” actually mean? I initially thought it meant I was supposed to repeat the instructions13 times, but I don’t have enough stitches for that, so it must mean something else!

Nope, you were right. Repeat the directions in the parenthesis 13 times. You should end with 54 sts. Therefore, by my count you should be starting with 80.
What pattern are you using? Name or link please.

Aha - so I’m not as daft as I thought I was! I think I do have 80 stitches so that sounds perfect. The pattern is on the box of the kit I was bought - it came from Hobbycraft but doesn’t appear to be a brand name or anything…
Thanks for your help, and your speedy reply :slight_smile:

If this is it, it’s adorable!:heart: Have fun making it!
[COLOR=“Red”]
http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/get-crafty-knitted-teddy-bear-kit/582626-1000[/COLOR]

yeah that looks like it…but i’m pretty sure mine won’t look like that when I’m done!!!

Then it will be a one of a kind, just from you! :heart:

I have just bout that kit from hobbycraft and I dont understand it! Ive been knitting for years but this pattern doesn’t make sense! I have 16 stitches. Then It says ‘k1, (m1, k2) 7 times, m1, k1’ to leave me with 24 stitches. It doesnt work as I would need to have more than 16 stitches to be able to that row. Please help :frowning:

Welcome to KH!
The pattern wants you to use an increase [I]between[/I] sts. An increase like M1L or M1A will work. See these increases on the Free Videos tab at the top of the page under Increases.
Here’s M1L:

If you do that the stitch count will work out and you will have 8 increases.

what a cute bear!

you’ll have to post a pic when you’re done. :slight_smile: