Top down hat pattern help

Hello,
I’m trying to follow a pattern, stormy lake hat, from the book “more modern top-down knitting” and am stuck on some of the directions. 2 specific issues:

_1. It says, "Increase round 2: Increase 8 stitches this rnd, then every other rnd 22 times, as follows: *K1-f/b, knit to marker, sm: repeat from * to end -200 sts (25 stches between markers). AT THE SAME TIME, work cable crosses on non increase rnds as follows:

When you have 9 sts between markers, *k3, C6F; repeat from * to end.

When you have 14 sts between markers, *k1, C6B, knit to marker; repeat from * to end.

When you have 20 sts between markers, *k10, C6F, knit to marker; repeat from * to end.

When you have 22 sts between markers, *C6B, knit to marker; repeat from * to end.

When you have 24 sts between markers, *k9, C6F, knit to marker; repeat from * to end.

When you have 25 sts between markers, *C6B, knit to marker; repeat from * to end. Work even for two rounds."

My question is, what do you do on the non increase rounds that aren’t specified by the special cable instructions? When I complete the first increase round, that only puts 3 stitches between markers (as I started with a marker every 2 sts) There does not appear to be a non increase round instruction until I hit 9 between markers. I thought maybe to assume to knit stitch a full round on non increases, unless otherwise specified, but then that only gives me 6 cable like rounds (as shown above).

2nd issue:
Many times it has a round written like this: “K3, C6F, knit to marker: repeat from * to end. KNIT 6 RNDS.”
-Does this mean that I repeat these instructions for 6 times or do I complete those instructions and then only do the knit stitch for 6 more rounds?

Thanks so much

Welcome!

1. Knit the sts on the non-increase rounds. This hat seems to be all knit sts. The photos are a big help in determining this. It looks like there are only 6 cable cross rounds as specified in the instructions.
  2. Complete the cable cross on one round and then knit for the next 6 rounds. (It’s very difficult to do a cable cross on consecutive rounds.)

Here’s a photo to confirm that I knit non increase rows except for the 6 cable special rows/rounds?

:slight_smile:

Thanks for ur quick help!

Yup, that’s right. Enjoy knitting this hat. We’d love to see a photo when you finish it up.

Thanks so much! My first time knitting in the round, I’m excited. :slight_smile: