Toe up socks

I have been looking on the internet and reading about toe up socks. I have seen instructions on this but have found most hard to follow. Does anybody have any feelings on knitting this type of socks and does anybody know of any visual instructions on the cast on for them. Thanks in advance for the advice!!!

I love toe up socks – I started making them that way after my first attempt at cuff down socks went terribly wrong.

I started with the figure 8 cast on from this page:
[color=blue]Toe Up Socks[/color] but be warned that the figure 8 cast on can be challenging. Once you get the hang of it, it’s great but it can be a bit frustrating at first. Stick with it and you will be fine.

I am now following [color=blue]Silver’s Sock Tutorial[/color] for 2 toe up socks done using Magic Loop and that is great too.

I hope you find something here that helps – if you do a web search on toe up cast on you will get many other options.

Best,
Susan

I love toe up socks… I use [color=violet]this [/color]cast on when making them, and I’ve found it the easiest for me to grasp, so it might help you :shrug:

Google ‘toe-up socks tutorial’ etc. I second the Knitty article on sock castons. What exactly is it about the toe-ups that gives you so much more trouble?
There are different reasons to prefer top-down or bottom-up socks, you just have to decide which has the most advantages for you.

Sarah

Two years ago I took classes at my LYS to learn knitting Toe UP socks. :happydance: :happydance: I really enjoyed it once the short rows made sense to me. I have to knit a new pair about every six months so I don’t ever FORGET how to knit them. You know that old “use it or lose it” thing. :shrug: