Toe up sock question... type of heel and leg to use?

I am making my first toe up sock and am at the ankle now. I don’t know which heel or leg I should use. I want a durable heel and some type of ribbing on the leg.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

No suggestions?? Ok well I will continue my search.

I make my socks from the leg down to the toe. But I use a lsip stich for the heel if that helps. On the knit slide, you slip one stich purlwise then knit one stich all the way across. Then on the purl side ya just purl. It makes a nice sturdy heel. THen I just use a 2x2 rib all the way up the leg. It makes it more elastic and socks stay up. That’s my .02. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Let me dig up an old post of mine. I made toe up socks a while ago and came across a really effective heel. I’ll be back shortly with more info.

Okay, here are some links for you:

First, I used a short row heel, instead one with a gusset. There are 3 different ways to do the short rows in the heel and my favourite way is the Japanese short row described by Nona. Nona actually does an experiment with all 3 short rows, which she has linked in there as well.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to post here or PM me :slight_smile:

It is possible to do a heel flap with a toe up sock. In the “Sensational Knitted Socks” book, it has great instructions for a toe up heel flap :smiley:

A durable heel would need some nylon thrown in there and knit along with the yarn you’re using, and then the leg, you can do some plain jain ribbing, like k1,p1, or some cables are always nice :wink: