Toe-Up Sock Cast-on

I was wondering, KnittinGigi, why you’d use flexitips for the toe but then go back to dpns? I was always a Magic Loop fan, but am now sold on flexitips for socks, especially the extra long Addi flexiflip squared, that have little bumps on them; I find the teeny, short ones quite hard on the hands, but the long ones are great. I can’t quite understand why the little bumps don’t slow you down, but they don’t seem to. I really love them! It took me a while to crack Judy’s Magic Cast On but suddenly it seems to fall into place, and is really, really nice when you get there! I find it much easier than the figure 8.

1 Like

Really don’t have a good answer. I have done a pair of socks using the hiyahiya flexible needle all the the way through. But the most recent pair (which aren’t finished yet) I just used for the toe. Maybe because I am more comfortable with dpn’s. I also have a wider range of needle sizes of dpn’s. I also like working with 4 or even 5 needles than just 3.

2 Likes

Toe up cast on try tii casa
https://youtu.be/9-xwlUcIHMU easy to follow at least a possible suggestion to help
I prefer toe up
I hope this helps if not I know for sure help will be found here its cool you reached out, means you will see this through proud of you and everyone who tries and everyone who helps

How many ways are there to start toe up socks or other things that could use a closed cast on? I just came across this link for another one. I’ve not tried it and don’t intend to but thought it might be of interest.

A short row toe, worked like a short row heel, doesn’t start with a closed cast on, it creates the toe with short rows. I’ve never done short row toes because I do knit to fit and can’t be certain how many stitches I will use until the increases are done.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+knit+a+short+row+toe

When I begun knitting my very first projects were socks. After two cuff down socks (heel flap and then short rows heel) I wanted to try toe up socks. Thus I was pretty much a beginner at that point and I tried these 3 approaches:

1. Short rows toe
  2. Judy’s magic cast on
  3. Turkish cast on

At that point I found short rows toe with a provisional cast on to be pretty easy to do (maybe because I had already tried short rows), but I did not like the result.

Judy’s magic cast on felt like a difficult method and it creates a bit of extra bulk at one of the corners.

Turkish cast on felt straight forward (on circulars) and it had not the same bulk at the corner. This became my standard way of doing toe up socks for many years.

(Now many years later I revisited Judy’s cast on. I have realized that it can easily be modified to produce exactly what Turkish cast on gives.)

1 Like