Toe up ankle socks

Thank you, I also need to know how to make it a ankle and no show sock. Do I just stop short of where I want the ribbing to start and how would I make it a no show sock?

GG, that’s a good one too.
Tangles, you’ll need ribbing to keep the sock on but not as many rows as regular socks. Here’s a video for cuff down socks but it gives you an idea for the rows to work for an ankle sock:

and another pattern:

They may not be as short as “no-shows” however.

I finally found a free pattern for toe up no show socks. Skimmer Socks (No Show Socks) This is a nice pattern IMO because it can be done for narrow feet - the smallest size is only 52 sts.

The pattern specifies Judy’s Magic Cast On but another could be used, such as the Turkish cast on, if preferred. I’ll sub German short rows rather than use wrap and turn.

Thank you so much :grinning:

Thank you for looking this up for me. I will definitely save and try this one also :grinning:

From what I have been playing around with I don’t really care for the wrap and turn it’s a little confusing to me when I watch someone do it. German short rows seam easier to me.

July 2017 What'cha Knitting?

I like German short rows myself and use them in place of wrap & turn. Shadow wraps are also a nice way to go but the choice for short rows is a personal preference here again.

You’re welcome for the link. I’ve looked and looked for a pattern like the that and finally found it so I just had to share the good fortune!
IMO W&T short rows are pure evil and extremely ugly. GSR is much better but, like salmonmac says, it’s personal choice. There are versions of heel turn that don’t involve either. For now, whatever pattern you choose it is probably best to stick with it for the most part but do feel free to do the GSR instead of W&T.

I posted this yesterday. I thought. Here it is waiting for me to click reply.

That’s ok lol, I was wondering how I can take a pattern that uses w&t’s or other methods and substitute them using GSR’s. Do I just start using the GSR method instead when the pattern calls for a wrap and turn?

Here’s a video: Substituting German Short Row for Standard Wrap and Turn Short Row

Basically you knit or purl the stitch that would be wrapped and then do the double stitch thing.

I find that skipping a turn of any sort on the end stitches will almost entirely eliminate any hole every time. Sometimes I work one row less and do whatever I need to do to get the right count on the next round or I will move a stitch on each end of the instep stitches to the heel needle and make sure I mark it so I know to leave it alone, then I can move it back to the other needle if I decide to. Spanning between the two needles seems to be the culprit and while there are ways to close up any gap or hole I prefer prevention. HTH

Go to YouTube and watch VeryPink’s video on German Short Rows to use instead of W&T. I just tried W&T and am switching to GSR. She has had toe-up socks with GSR. Just watched it today!

Sorry. I thought I was replying to the comment on wrap & turn.

I’m confused about what I’m replying to! VeryPink has an excellent video on YouTube for substituting GSRs for W&T. I hope I didn’t say this twice on the same post!

I love her, I have watched her GSR’s and she was great at showing me how to do it. I want to purchase the pattern for the socks but I have to wait a bit to pay $8.00.

I purchased her pattern for the men’s toe up got so irritated by the w&t’s that I almost threw my knitting across the room! lol

Oh and tonight I was following a toe up with Judy’s cast on and realised that the purl bumps were folding to the outside and the right side was in the fold. I know this isn’t the way it was supposed to be but hey I didn’t have that middle ridge! Lol
And as if my night wasn’t going to get any better I snapped my new 2.25 40" Knitters Prides needles right in half! I guess I had a death grip on them!

Oh God, please give my the strength to survive knitting!! :joy:

Thank you lol

Hey everyone I wanted to share a YouTube video on working GSM’s without turning you’re work :grinning:

It’s by knitmatician, it’s kind of neat. Its almost like mirror imaging.

Hi there, another vote for the Lifestyle toe up socks! I have also found this heel method works really well…

Thanks for the link to the Skimmer socks, I have been wanting something similar as I’m slightly obsessed with ankle/no-show socks, I really don’t like not wearing socks, but at this time of year, they don’t look very good with cropped trousers or skirts!

So far I have made up my own version using the Lifestyle method with the no wrap short row heel and then doing about 10 rows of stocking after the heel then casting off. This gives a nice rolled edge like the Rose City Rollers sock http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/rose-city-rollers but it is definitely not no-show! I’ve also just done one with 3 rows of ribbing after the heel, again, it is a nice ankle sock, but shows in low cut summer shoes. I’m looking forward to trying this version. :smiley:

I recently cast-on for these Toe-up socks with a difference, learning the Turkish cast-on and can honestly say they may have become my go-to sock pattern. I re-learnt knitting 14 years ago to knit socks and usually have at least one pair on the needles but could never get the hang of Magic-Loop. I used You tube to find a Turkish cast-on video by Jane Richmond and as she says, this is essentially a Magic loop technique.
I’ll stick to short Hiya Hiya circulars though…

Oh, wow! I’d be pretty frustrated with knitting too!

I had no idea the pattern was $8.00! I didn’t even think about that! I would just use a free pattern and substitute her GSR technique. I’ve never done a toe like that, but it should be fairly easy to figure out. Or there’s probably a free pattern out there for it. I love her videos and would like to support her, but I’m not in to paying for patterns, not to mention nice yarn!

You don’t have to do Judy’s magic cast on! I found Turkish cast on and like it much better! I got the purl bumps on the outside a few times with Judy’s too. Just had to keep trying until I got them on the inside. I don’t think they’re supposed to be on the outside! I’m not sure what I did differently, but just kept trying until I got it.

I found the GSR because I was using Liat Gat’s toe-up pattern. There’s a link in the pattern to a faster and easier method than W&T and that got me searching because Liat’s link doesn’t work. I also gave up on make 1 increases and switched to knit one front & back. So much easier. I found yarn over can be substituted but you have to knit through the back on those on the next round. I can’t remember to do that!

I don’t make many socks. I had always made cuff down but a friend told me she makes them toe up, so I wanted to try that. I made myself several pair of cuff down a few years ago but don’t wear them. I used thicker and cheaper yarn. I don’t know if I’ll make more after this pair I’m working on or not. There are so many techniques and ideas to try though! I like to have small projects to take in the car on short rides. We drive at least 20 min to get anywhere, so I like to knit when I ride with Hubby.

Oh, yes! I will be making six more pair at least! I’m making tiny Christmas stocking ornaments for the grandkids. Still working out the kinks before I actually get one made! That’s where I was introduced to W&T and got big holes! I found a video yesterday that pretty much said the holes (where the heel meets the leg) are inevitable. The answer is to pick up a stitch on each side then decrease on the next row. Ready to try that! I’m also struggling with the color changes for the heel & toe.

Are you on Knitting or Addicted to Knitting on Facebook? Lots of great ideas and help there. There’s also an Addicted to Sock Knitting, but I’m not in that group.

I hope your knitting goes more smoothly today! No more broken needles! I use less expensive ones by Clover then 40% off at Jo~Ann.

Happy stitching!
Beth

It’s great you’ve decided what works best for you and don’t worry about what someone else does. Of course I might have to report you to the knitting police for daring to stray from the pattern. :yum: You’re the boss of your own knitting and that’s the way to go IMO. Me? I can’t do the Turkish cast on, it bested me. But I can start toe up socks and that’s what I care about. Now I think about it, you really don’t need to worry about the knitting police, they’re snooping around seeing what I’m up to. :grin:

@Tangles64 I had no idea there is a video for GSR without turning, I do it all the time with my heels. I wonder why he says to leave both needles in the stitch when you do the knit side double stitch. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t.

I’m pretty sure that at least one toe of one of my earliest socks has the purl bumps on the outside. As long as there are no holes I wouldn’t frog more than a few rounds to correct it, but I figure when I’m wearing them I can’t see the very ends of my toes anyway.