To Frog or not to Frog?

I started knitting this jacket and this morning I realized my front panel is facing/overlapping the right side instead of the left. Should I frog it and pick up the stitches for both panels and collar again because I have to knit 2 of each since my friend is having twins wouldn’t it be awkward to have one panel facing left and the other facing right? or should I just leave it alone since I’ve worked sooo hard and hope the other sweater panel turns out to be on the left.?
:hair:
This is what the sweater is suppose to look like.

I would frog the ribbing panels and re-knit so that the buttonholes are correct for a boy. Be glad this is a teensy size! Shouldn’t take long now that you’ve experienced it once! I made this very same double-breasted coat for my little grandson, Keoni! It is the nicest little jacket! Your knitting looks wonderful!

The “rule” is that buttonholes go on the right for a girl and left for a boy. What is your friend having? Maybe you have it correct for one of the babies. But it is not something (the “rule”) that a lot of people even know about, so don’t sweat it too much. Of if you want to make one for a girl and one for a boy, just make sure you make the other one turn out as you mean for it to. That will work as long as you don’t have a pink one for the boy and a blue one for the girl. :lol:

the picture above is not my knitting…hehe…I found the picture on Ravelry.

No one knows if she’s having 2 boy/girls or 1 of the other…but I suppose I will frog it.aarrgghh!!!lol

the picture above is not my knitting…hehe…I found the picture on Ravelry.

No one knows if she’s having 2 boy/girls or 1 of the other…but I suppose I will frog it.aarrgghh!!!lol

I wouldn’t. It’s an arbitrary “rule”, especially for babies. I have quite a few pieces of clothing where the overlap is on different sides.

Oh, gotcha!

I’ve knit for a lot of grandbabies, and numerous other babies at our congregation and unless I [U]really know[/U] what the sex of the baby is…I stick to pullovers. I guess I’m OCD about the buttonhole placements for girls [U]vs[/U] boys. :pout:

How about a cute pullover??? There are lots of them!

In your situation I think I’d leave it. Who knows maybe you are changing it to incorrect when it is correct now. :slight_smile: If you don’t know the babies’ sex I don’t how how you can be expected to get the buttons on the “right” sides.

I [I]think [/I]that it’s also the reverse of what we have in Europe, any time my parents have brought me back clothes from their holidays in the US, I always feel that the zip/buttons are on the wrong side. I don’t think it matters too much to a baby what side they dress on!

well, just my opinion, but i wouldn’t frog it, and even if the other one comes out overlapping the other side, it would helpto tell the twins apart if they are identical!!, also, each twin would have a unique sweater-- linknit41

I don’t think it really matters. I gave my bf a shirt that was too small for me and he wears it even though the buttons are on the ‘wrong’ side.

well I know the boy side buttons to the left but when I was doing up the buttons for my sons I always tried to do them to the right 'cos I’m a girl,so I think with babies it can go either way at least until they start doing up there own buttons.

It’s double-breasted. Who’s going to look that close to see where the button holes are? I say leave it as is.

Cute sweater, too!

I would leave it as well. I always thought it was crazy to have buttons going different ways just because of boy vs. girl. I personally don’t think it should ever matter. I have a men’s shirt that I love and no one has ever said anything about the buttons. My dd just bought a men’s flannel shirt yesterday because there weren’t any for girls.

Leave it and make the next one… As the recipient, I would be happy to receive it no matter the buttons.

mary