Thrifty Knitters Share Your Tips

I’ve heard some thrifty tips here and there on this forum and I thought it would be nice to have them all on one post. I’d like to hear what you do or creative ideas you have heard from other thrifty knitters. I find this a bit of a challenge, I still like to spend the big bucks at the yarn store :D, but I guess I can justify it by being thrifty in other ways.

Here’s my first tip: When I needed markers and couldn’t get to the yarn store I went to Home Depot and bought some tiny “O-rings” (basically they are tiny black rubber washers). I bought the #7s and paid about 1/10 what you’d pay for markers at the yarn store!

because I always lose cable needles… I will use a dpn or dow rod… I have made dpns from dow rods using Amy’s video… I use scrap yarn to hold sts on sweaters or whenever still haven’t bought a stich holder… I use the library for books so I don’t have to buy them :rofl:

I also use scrap yarn for markers. I use a lot of markers when knitting a sweater, usually every ten rows on each side as I go. Then with out having to count very hard I can make sure I have the sames number of rows on front and back, and when I go to sew the side seams, all my rows match up perfectly.

I have collected so many straight needles over the years, I bought one of those round decrotive cardboard wine holders from the craft store and put all the needles in the tube, then I can stand it up next to me of on a shelve. The top doesn’t fit on, but it is usually attached by a ribbon and looks nice just hanging off the side.

I only go to the yarn shop when I have extra money to spend, and I only spend cash there. So I never walk out feeling guilty.

Silver, I’m with you. It’s getting to where people start looking at you weird if you pay with cash. Cash is the way to go for me!

BTW, I checked the links in your sig and I’m about to try knitting my hubby some socks, so I will try the sock tutorial. Thanks for that!

safety pins also make great markers.

I like using spare yarn for it (in contrasting colors), it doesn’t snag on anything like pins or split rings can.

i’ve found that chopsticks work pretty well when i need the needles for something else right away… just a free pack from a chinese restaurant, generally equivalent to about an 8.
party on! :happydance:

otn: scarfy… um, thing. in icelandic jewels, peridot. hurray for late xmas gifts!

I have posted this before… but I will say it again. I use my old Altoid cans as holders. I put my point protectors, stitch markers, and other odds and ends in them. I keep ALL my candy tins now~ the tin is strong enought to protect my goodies… ~!

I make my own stitch markers using beads from old jewelry. For the rings, I use keyrings in various sizes from the hardware store, about 5-10 cents each. I gave some to KellyK for teaching our sock class lasst week!

Recycle yarn from old sweaters!

I make my own stitch markers using beads from old jewelry. For the rings, I use keyrings in various sizes from the hardware store, about 5-10 cents each. I gave some to KellyK for teaching our sock class lasst week!

I use wooden dowels or dpns too as a cable needle…I even once used two toothpicks held together when I got to a relative’s house and realized I left my dpns at home and the only project I brought was a cabled scarf!

I also use scraps of yarn as stitch markers although I have bought one package of stitch markers when I first started knitting. They were made by Boye and came w/ a little plastic box to keep them in–somehow I’ve managed to keep up w/ about half of them. But in a pinch–scrap yarn of a different color really does work just fine.

I’ve never recycled yarn but keep swearing that I will someday…

I just learned about the recycling thing from this forum, I can’t wait to try. Someone posted a good tutorial link that will really help me get started! :slight_smile:

Areurllia
I :heart: :heart: you new doggie pic~ who is that btw?

I use ouchless gum bands, found at the dollar store as markers. There are usually 500 in a bag.

I use safety pins for cables.

I always keep a ball of cheapy yarn on hand to try new patterns, rather than risk messing up the ‘good stuff.’

Hi, thanks! That’s Peanut, my latest. He was our first foster dog and hubby couldn’t live without him, but he’s more attached to me. I volunteer with Lone Star Shih Tzu Rescue, but I think he’s a Shih Tzu/Bichon mix. See pics of him with my first sweater here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=368473&highlight=peanut+sweater#368473

I remembered last night I had this picture of him taken a few months ago when he stole my knitting…I came back in the room and that’s what I saw. LOL! So I thought it was the PERFECT avatar for my new addiction…knittinghelp.com :teehee: