Thought of GG for this one

…except she doesn’t need any help! :slight_smile:

still, a fun idea for this holiday season… gift cards by themselves are so boring, even if they are the easy gift of choice anymore.

Cute! I like them. Now if you’ll just figure out how I can do them without having to purl, please. :wink: I think you just gave me some much needed inspiration for using up a bunch of acrylic yarns. Thanks!!!

Purl? They’re knit in the round and the only purling seems to be a bit of ribbing.

I know. Not too long ago our Mr. X was trying to figure out how to never have to purl. Just thought I’d rattle his cage a bit.

never, ever, ever. ah phooey, you don’t get far without it … :wink:

Ahhh okay. :teehee: Do you knit English or continental? Doesn’t matter really. You get used to it pretty much. :wink:

english with the index finger flicking method ( a la staci@verypink, johnny@newstitchaday, many others). with practice the back-and-forth of knit/purl became not a big deal; i just extend/retract my finger depending on where i want the yarn.

i’ve practiced continental a little bit… so far it just doesn’t click well. it feels cumbersome for my left hand, and my tension is way off. i know people say the knit stitch is easier because the yarn is just right there and boom, you scoop it up… but my ‘scooping’ was like sending my needles to pluto and back… so awkward.

if/when i get to colorwork, then a lot more practice is in order, so i can switch back and forth between english and continental.

but for now, and the foreseeable future, it’s english…

Continental is easier than English style. :hair: Why do people feel that have to say that? It depends upon who’s doing the knitting. For me Continental is easier but that’s because my right hand absolutely refuses to cooperate in holding the yarn and needle and doing the motions. The only way I could manage English style involves dropping the yarn and picking it up again and that’s not working for me so I keep trying to figure out how the heck you all do it. Anyone who can do both leaves me totally amazed. If you want to learn Continental, learn to crochet. It’s basically the same movements. For me it was the only way I was ever going to start knitting. I want to be able to do English too. Have you tried Portuguese?

i just read a blog post where the author was saying they had so much trouble learning to knit after becoming a proficient crocheter. they were so used to left hand movements but tried learning to knit with english method and nothing worked. it was only when they discovered continental later on that things worked for them.

if the basics are knit and purl, then continental vs english should be whatever works for you. the other stitches are used less so having to do some stitches in a less-efficient/odd/awkward way for some projects here and there, until you learn more, shouldn’t be a big deal (although you’ve seen some of those same blog comments where the authors are almost at crusade-level fervor - THIS way is the one true way to knitting salvation)…

i wish when i started, i’d had some in-person help from somebody who knew multiple styles and said “ok, try this, now this other way, now this 3rd way… which one feels better? easier? more natural? - do that way for you, for now”

portuguese and turkish knitting styles both look interesting, but i’m sticking with what i know, for now :wink:

Turkish. Now I have to go find out about that one too. :eyes:

I can knit either way and do so for stranded knitting, but my natural inclination is english so that’s what I do most of the time. Purling, which I always hated, is pretty fast for me now. Still hate seed stitch with a passion though. :lol:

I love seed stitch, Irish moss stitch, and 1x1 rib.