This would be a great website

I just had an idea for a website (maybe it really exists and I don’t know it). Say you have 3 balls of knitpicks crayon (just an example…I don’t have this) but you don’t know what to do with it. Perhaps it’s an odd amount that isn’t quite enough for a sweater or blanket but too much for a hat. You would enter your yarn brand and type, weight, yardage and the site would tell you all sorts of patterns for things you could make with it. I always see yarn on ebay that looks nice but I don’t want to create a stash. I feel like I need a project in mind for it before I buy it. Anyone else like this idea or know a a site that accually does this?

That would be a great idea - kind of like Carol’s site for orphan needles. I would definitely participate in that!!

I would love that! Unfortunately I am too new of a knitter to be of much help. (I am crossing my fingers that I bought enough yarn for my daughter’s sweater.) Have you seen the book One Skein? I am going to see if the library has it. I already have bunches of leftovers of yarn from other projects.

Candice

At Knitter’s Review (knittersreview.com) they have one section that shows what to make if you have some certain number of yards of yarn. Like what can I make with 100, 200 yards, etc. Then I think people make suggestions.

It’s the forums section, down near the bottom of the page under the heading “What Should I Make With It?”

Thanks! I’ll have to check that out.

I’ve seen that, but I never know how many yards are “left” in used balls. I guess I should measure them and roll them into balls one day when I’m really bored… :rollseyes:

Jan - I normally guestimate by weight - if the original ball was 50 grams and it now weighs 25 grams, I assume I have half of the original yardage… I use a kitchen scale…

http://destash.blogspot.com./

check this out - I just found it - gotta get back to 1040 land!

Ooh, that’s a great idea! Thanks for posting it.

That’s a good idea. I’ve been thinking of getting a kitchen scale anyway.