This pattern does not make sense

I am trying to knit leg warmers. The pattern called for 71 stitches but I reduced it to 61 and came up one size in the needles. It is 8 different row of stitches. Some are a 10 stitch pattern some are 13. I cannot get this pattern to come out evenly. It calls for yarn overs passo and knit together 2 stitches in four rows and knit 10 stitches in others. The pattern is called horseshoe lace. What am I doing wrong. Thanks

Is this the pattern?

All the rounds are 10stitch repeats with one extra stitch to start the round (10+1). Sometimes the problem is the yarn over. The yarn over doesn’t use a stitch, just bring the yarn to the front between the needles and over the right needle.

I had a feeling it was the yarn over stitch. Thank you sp much

My confusion with lace knitting is one row has a 10 plus 1 row and the next has a 13 stitch repeat

All the rows have 10 st repeats. For example, here are rows 2 and 4:
•K1, yo, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, yo, k1
The repeat is k3 (3sts used)
sl1, k2tog psso (3sts used)
k3 (3sts used)
k1 (one stitch)
•P1, k1, yo, k2, sl1, k2tog, psso, k2, yo, k1, p1
k1 (one stitch)
k2 (2sts)
sl1, k2tog, psso (3sts)
k2 (2sts)
k1, p1 (2sts)

or is it another row that’s causing the problem?

The name of the pattern is horseshoe lace legwwarmers

Would you quote a row that has 13sts in the repeat and tell us how many sts you would use at each step?

(See if the link in post #2 is the same pattern.)

It looks like the same pattern. Why would it be a knit row then the first row knit again then the second row then the p, knit 9, p one row then row 2 then the p, k9 p1 row then last row p1, k3, yo, s1, k2tog, passo, yo, k3, p1

The pattern is knit in the round so most of the stitches are knit stitches with purl stitches between repeats on most of the pattern rounds. Rounds 1 and 3 are plain knit but there aren’t any rounds that are all purl.
When you do the repeat make sure that you’re only repeating the sts between the asterisks and that you’re doing each of the steps correctly (the yo, the double decrease) and you should be fine. Give it another try (maybe numbering the rounds would help?) and see how it goes.
There are several projects on Ravelry with notes that may help.

Did you ever feel like the biggest dummy in the world that is me. I think I found one of my mistakes and are ripping it out again. I will try again and let you know how I do. Thank you for your help. Keep tuned in to the adventure.

Great!
Fingers crossed.

I like to think of myself as an idiot savant when it comes to ripping out knitting.

I’ve got YEARS of experience, and am not bad with some fairly advanced techniques, but I still have to rip even the simplest things out sometimes.

It’s very annoying.

I think that’s just part of knitting. At least that’s what I keep telling myself. I certainly do my share if ripping out.