This is going to sound stupid

But the other day I was making a miniature sweater for something the size of a barbie doll. The pattern was easy as pie… you cast on and knit the whole thing in one piece…

So you cast on and knit the body of the sweater, then cast on some more sts for the sleeves, then bind off some sts for the neck, then bind off the sleeves and continue working the body. So in the end all you have to do is fold the piece of material in half and seam up to make the sweater (think symmetrical). Does any of that even make sense? It’s all knit in one piece.

So I thought to myself – if I can do that to a mini sized one, why can’t I do that for a large sized one as well? Does that make me crazy?? Other than the fact that a larger one may not have as much ‘shaping’ to it, I see no reason why it can’t be done…

I made one like it for my son when he was 2 or 3 and I’ve also seen adult patterns like it too. I’ve thought that knitting the lower parts in stockinette, then garter stitch for the sleeve and upper body would look interesting and think I’ve actually seen a picture of one knit that way.

sue

Nothing crazy or stupid about it at all. I’ve seen patterns written like this for adults. In fact, if you want, you can do some shaping. During the first part when you are doing a front or back, do the waist shaping just like you would if you were knitting it in pieces.

It isn’t stupid. It’s genius! Elizabeth Zimmerman designed the Baby Surprise Jacket almost 40 years ago. Also, see the KH Knit-Along.

This pattern is quite different than the baby surprise jacket. That’s folded up like origami to make a cardigan. EssenceRose’s idea is to knit from the bottom up, co stitches for the sleeves, put in a neck opening, bo the sleeve stitches and knit the other part of the body then seam up the side sleeves for a pullover.

sue

hmmmm… if you’re knitting the “other part of the body” lastly, then it isn’t knitted in the round. It’s knit up from the front or back bottom edge and down to the other, which would necessitate side seams as well. Or am I not seeing it properly? It wouldn’t be the first time that happened.

It sounds to me like she’s knitting a T-top type pattern like this:
http://www.dailyguideposts.com/giveaways/ClassicT-Top.pdf
except that she’s not binding off the shoulders, just the neck part and continuing on… no?

An adult would need shaping, but otherwise if you do the measurements it would probably work. I think I’ve actually seen an adult version somewhere… :think:

please forgive my horrible drawing skills, but this is what the finished piece would look like (minus the crooked lines) :rofling:

then you would just fold it in half (so the top and bottom match) and seam up the sides… I hope that makes sense.

So not able to comment on the knitting part, since I haven’t knit a sweater (or even a sock!) yet, BUT I sew, and I have done many things like that when sewing, so I am sure you can apply it to knitting. Just decrease in the waist area? Should work fine…

That’s the same way I made it for my son. I think it’s the easiest pattern ever.

sue

I think it would work. Wouldn’t it pretty much be exactly like a drop shoulder pullover? They don’t have any shaping to speak of. It would be a cool practice piece. If you do it, please post a picture. I want to try a sweater, but I’m a huge coward.

Joe

What’s keeping you - just start in, it’s very very simple. If you want the sleeves more tapered, CO 1/3 of the stitches at a time instead of all at once.

sue

I think I’ll try it. :slight_smile: I have a HUGE ball of just plain black yarn (we’re talking the equivalent of about 10 50g balls of yarn) and it has no use whatsoever so I might as well use it up. I have plenty of bits of other yarns I could put in as some contrast color, too. :slight_smile:

Yes. Do it! Do it!!! lol

sue

Could you post how you did it after you do too… like how you came to the # of stitches and such?

Thanks I love learning from you all!

To figure the number of stitches, you knit up the yarn with the same needles you’ll use to find the number of sts/inch. Then you decide how many inches around for the finished sweater. This might be the exact chest/bust measurement, a coupla inches larger for a loose sweater or a couple inches smaller for a form fitting sweater. Then take half that measurement, multiply by the stitches per inch - that’s your CO number. Use the same sts/inch and a sleeve measurement to figure how much you’re going to need for each sleeve.