They say there's no "wrong" way to knit

I just remembered a similar problem with bowstring making.
People would use CW and CCW and trying to figure out what they were saying was impossible not knowing where they were looking from (bowstrings are worked on from the side like knitting needles).

I tried to get people to use a more accurate “right hand twist” and “left hand twist” like threads on a bolt which are not dependent on perception.
It didn’t work and most were machinist types that should’ve been able relate the twists of a string to the threads on a bolt.

But if you care,
//// is a left handed twist.
\\ is a right handed twist. (Come to think of it I couldn’t ever get one to use slashes to describe what they were saying.)
If you try to get it to catch on I wish you better luck than I had with bowstrings. I think you’d get enough blank stares informing people that rows of knitting are coils of yarn.

Mike, I like that solution; left hand twist ( //// ) and right hand twist ( \\ ). It works for any knitting method and as I look at the yarn I have with me I see the yarn is plied in a left hand twist.

That brings me to a question. If your knitting method leads to a right hand twist ( \\ ) to the wrap of stitches on the needles, could it untwist the yarn plied with a left hand twist ( /// )?

The only time I have had the plies untwist is with long tail cast on. And that was the tail getting untwisted (unplied?) :think:

Or I am just over thinking again. :roll:

See this article from knitty about how yarns are plied and how they can bias.

LOL, that’s the whole basis behind worrying about the twists on a bowstring. Twisting one way tightens the twists of the original strands. Wrapping the serving one way or the other tightens or loosens the twists of the bundle. Under the extreme shock of a bow it can cause odd things to happen and create strings the require long break in times.

It figures you would like the terms. You generally like to make as much sense as possible and the easiest way is to use terms that can only be taken one way. I still can’t figure out why the machinists (some inventing commercial string jigs) wouldn’t use them.

I had a no-ply wool I was crocheting that presented a problem with untwisting.

All this talk about the twist of the ply in the spinning of yarn is starting to sound like a group of Physicist talking about molecular spin.

Hey, they study the fundamental make up of matter by smashing things apart. And how much of our crochet or knitting knowledge comes from frogging back to figure out what we did different from the pattern.

“Hey, I know what’s wrong, :doh: I made this mistake before!”

:slight_smile:

Mastery of a craft is knowing how to fix a mistake when you make it again. :eyebrow2: Oh.

opps, all these years i’ve been knitting “wrong”!!! have always wrapped the yarn counterclockwise, but it looks just like the stitches in the photos.as long as one does the wrap consistently in one direction, seems to work ok. linknit41

Read the rest of the posts. I guess “technically” I’m knitting counterclockwise. It turns out it’s how you view the wrap which way it goes. Way confusing if you ask me. I just wrap under then over.

Holy Smokes!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: