Thermal - Upper front armhole/neckline shaping

Hey!

I’m knitting Thermal from Knitty. I’m up to the Upper Left front where I start the armhole and neckline shaping.

Note: Read ahead! Armhole and neckline shaping are worked at the same time, starting on the next row.

While working neckline and armhole shaping, maintain 3 edge sts in stockinette st.

Shape Armhole
Next Row [RS]: K2, ssk, work in patt to end.
Work 1 row in patt.
Repeat these 2 rows 4[5, 5, 6, 6, 8, 7, 9, 11] times more.
AT THE SAME TIME, shape neckline as follows:
Work 4[4, 4, 4, 4, 6, 6, 4, 4] rows in patt.
Next Row [RS]: Work in patt to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2.
Work 3[3, 3, 3, 3, 0, 0, 3, 3] rows in patt.

Sizes A, B, C, D, E, H, J Only:
[B]Repeat these 4[/B][4, 4, 4, 4, -, -, 4, 4] [B]rows[/B] 1[1, 1, 2, 2, -, -, 3, 4] times more.

I’m doing Size A so I guess it goes like this [I](1 = "Next Row [RS]: K2, ssk, work in patt to end."
2 = “Work 1 row in patt”)[/I]:

1 + "Next Row [RS]: Work in patt to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2."

Now I’m pretty sure I’ve got the above right, my main concern is the “Repeat these 4 rows” that I bolded in the quote above. Which 4 rows??

[B]1 + "Next Row [RS]: Work in patt to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2."
2[/B]

• these 4?? if not, any other ideas?

Thanx

Your armhole shaping is a 2 row repeat but the neckline is 4. Being you’re doing them at the same time you’ll have done the armhole shaping twice for each neckline shaping.

1. Armhole…dec, Neckline…in patt
  2. A…in patt, N…in patt
  3. A…dec, N…in patt
  4. A…in patt, N…dec

Those are your 4 rows.

HTH,
cam

Your armhole shaping is a 2 row rep but the neckline is 4. So you’re on the right track.

1. Armhole…dec, Neckline…dec
  2. A…in patt, N…in patt
  3. A…dec, N…in patt
  4. A…in patt, N…in patt

Rep those 4 however many add’l times.

HTH,
cam

What a lovely pattern I do hope you get it sorted out.

okay, that seems to be the same as what I was thinking. however, I’ve just taken another look at the pattern

All Sizes:
Row 4 [WS]: BO 9[9, 10, 10, 10, 11, 11, 11, 11] sts, work in patt to end. 27[30, 30, 32, 34, 34, 35, 42, 48] sts.

Note: Read ahead! Armhole and neckline shaping are worked at the same time, starting on the next row.

While working neckline and armhole shaping, maintain 3 edge sts in stockinette st.

Shape Armhole
Next Row [RS]: K2, ssk, work in patt to end.
Work 1 row in patt.
Repeat these 2 rows 4[5, 5, 6, 6, 8, 7, 9, 11] times more.
AT THE SAME TIME, shape neckline as follows:
[B]Work 4[/B][4, 4, 4, 4, 6, 6, 4, 4] rows in patt.
Next Row [RS]: Work in patt to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2.
Work 3[3, 3, 3, 3, 0, 0, 3, 3] rows in patt.

Sizes A, B, C, D, E, H, J Only:
Repeat these 4[4, 4, 4, 4, -, -, 4, 4] rows 1[1, 1, 2, 2, -, -, 3, 4] times more.

All Sizes:
20[22, 22, 22, 24, 24, 26, 28, 31] sts remain.

By the way we’ve worked it out I think I’d decrease by 8 stitches instead of 7…

“Repeat these 4 rows” = the “Work 4” I’ve bolded?? that’s my next guess, but it only makes sense if you take the no. of stitches into account…

Not sure you’re asking a question or just making an observation. You’ve not said what size you’re doing so not sure how many total decs you’re supposed to make.

As for the ‘Work 4’ you’ll have done 2 or 3 armhole decs while working the neckline in pattern (for 4 or 6 rows). THEN the 4-row rep kicks in. You’ll do 2 armhole decs for each 1 at the neckline.

cam

Oh, I’m asking a question.
In my first post I said I was doing Size A…

I’ve gotten a little confused, so I’ll write out what I think I have to do.
starting from

1)armhole dec, neckline patt
2)armhole patt, neckline patt
3)armhole dec, neckline patt
4)armhole patt, neckline patt
–so I’ve worked 4 above, now the neckline decrease comes in–
5)armhole dec, neckline dec
6)armhole patt, neckline patt
7)armhole dec, neckline patt
8)armhole patt, neckline patt

So I’ve gotten that part alright (I think), it’s just when it comes to the “Repeat these 4 rows” part. I assumed it was rows 5-8, but I have 27st to start off with and if I repeat 5-8 then I’ll do 8 decs which would result in 19sts when finished, when I’m supposed to have 20sts when finished. so when it says “repeat these 4 rows” do you reckon it means rows 1-4 (the “work 4 rows” before the neckline shaping)?

now when I think about it more however I think I’ve gotten confused, and I’ve worked out another different way.

1. arm dec, neck patt (1 dec)
  2. arm patt, neck patt
  • first time, next 8 rows are above 2 repeated 4 times -
  1. =1) (1 dec, total 2decs)
  2. =2)
  3. =1) (1 dec, total 3decs)
  4. =2)
  5. =1) (1 dec, total 4decs)
  6. =2)
  7. =1) (1 dec, total 5decs)
  8. =2)
  • then it’s work 4 rows in patt -
  1. in patt, no dec
  2. in patt, no dec
  3. in patt, no dec
  4. in patt, no dec
  • then the neckline decrease -
  1. neckline dec (1 dec, total 6decs)
    -then work 3 rows in patt -
  2. in patt, no dec
  3. in patt, no dec
  4. in patt, no dec
  • then it says “repeat these 4 rows” which I assume would be rows 15-18 -
  1. neckline dec (1 dec, total 7decs)
  2. in patt, no dec
  3. in patt, no dec
  4. in patt, no dec

so yeah, I think the 2nd one sounds more correct now, but it doesn’t mean I’m doing the armhole and neckline shaping on the same row which is what I assumed when I read AT THE SAME TIME. Also, in the first one I only did rows 1 and 2 four times, instead of adding on the one at the begginning… I don’t know how I’d fit that in now.

I hope I’ve made sense, it can be difficult over the net.

Apologies for missing your mention of Size A in the first post. (I think my eyes were getting screwy trying to calc all the decs. LOL) I looked at the orig pattern. You’re doing a total of 5 decs on the armhole (the 2-row rep 5x…1 dec each rep=5) and total of 2 decs on the neckline (the 4-row rep 2x…1 dec each rep=2). 27-7=20.

So:

1)armhole dec, neckline patt (-1 arm)
2)armhole patt, neckline patt
3)armhole dec, neckline patt(-2 arm)
4)armhole patt, neckline patt
–so I’ve worked 4 above, now the neckline decrease comes in–
5)armhole dec, neckline dec(-3 arm, -4 neck)
6)armhole patt, neckline patt
7)armhole dec, neckline patt(-5 arm)
8)armhole patt, neckline patt

Then,
9)armhole dec, neckline dec (-6 arm, -7 neck… last dec for both as this is armhole dec #5, neckline dec #2)
So from what I can tell the decs are worked over total of 9 rows as both armhole and neckline are worked in pattern after that.

Yes, trying to map this out online is confusing but hopefully this last version offers some insight. I think you have a sense of what you need to do…just have to see it in b&w. When I write out dec directions I tend to do it as a chart as that works for me to see which things are happening on which rows.

cam