The Mara Shawl

I
am trying to knit the Mara Shawl on Pinterest. The pattern reads: Cast on 5. Knit 2 rows. row 1 RS k2,yo,pm,k1,yo,k2.
row 2, knit to end. 7 stitches. Row 3, k2, yo, knit to marker,yo,slip marker,k1,yo,k to last 2 sts, yo, k2. Repeat rows 2 & 3 to desired width. I have tried this many times and by the time I have 5 or 6 rows, I may have 10 stitches on one side of marker and 15 on the other. The marker is supposed to be the center point of the triangle. What am I doing wrong?

Welcome to KH.
mara

You should have a yo at each end of the row and one on either side of the marker. Check to be sure that you are getting them all in. As you’re off by approximately the same number of stitches as rows worked, I think you’re missing one of them.

Thank you. I am still confused. If I knit to marker and then yo there is no other stitch to knit in on the right side of marker so I have been yo and then slip the marker which to me means to k th stitch just to the left of the marker. Where do I find my stitch to knit after the yo to the right of the marker? Your help is greatly appreciated. As you can probably note, I am a fairly new knitter. Thanks so much.

Row 3, k2, yo, knit to marker,yo,slip marker,k1,yo,k to last 2 sts, yo, k2

I think you posted exactly as is in the pattern, I can’t copy/paste from it.
After you k2, do a yo, knit to marker and then do another yo before you slip the marker, slip marker to left needle, kl1, do another yo, knit to the last 2 sts, do a yarnover then k2.

Watch that the yo and marker and next knit stitch because they can get mixed up easily. Remember the order they should be in and just pay attention for them to be worked or slipped in the right order.

Does that help? If not someone better at explaining things will see this and work their magic with words.

ETA a yo doesn’t use a stitch so that may be part of what’s giving you trouble. Yarn Over 101 on youtube can show you more than you ever wanted to know about yarn overs.

KDTV: Knit Triangle Shawls from Top-Center Out

Directions say to measure a width of 46". Where do you measure? Is it along the working edge or along the bottom edge?
Thanks…and how do i start a new question on this forum ?

Welcome to the forum!
The width is measured along the live sts on the needle. If your sts are bunched, you can measure from the center to one edge and double the measurement.
To post a question, open the section of the forum that you’re interested in and click the rectangular orange button (“Start a New Thread”) on the upper left.