The end of a row

Hi I’m new here…I started learning how to knit about a 4 days ago and it’s been great! I’ve been doing the double cast on and now I’m practicing the knit and purl stitches. My problem is the end of the row- I end up with a loose loop at the end that I don’t know what to do with…I guess a related question is the last stitch on left needle- i’ve been knitting that one too, is that correct? I know Im doing something wrong because I can’t start the new row easily…any help would be appreciated!

Everybody’s last/first stitch is loose, especially if they’re new, if it’s any consolation. Since it’s anchored on only one side, it’s nature is to be loose.

There are a couple of ways to handle it. You can slip the first stitch in the row, and not knit it at all. This will help give a more even edge. Or you can knit it and hold the yarn really tight for the next couple of stitches and it won’t be as loose.

Welcome to the forums! That question about the loose stitch is probably the most commonly asked. That and curling stockinette–there’s a whole sticky thread on that one.

Oh ok! Thanks! I thought it may be a common question, but I didn’t find any threads on it. That helps!