The adventure has started

I just kick those stumbling blocks out of the way.

The re-do is coming along nicely. I Can see the ribs and flats. I would scan it for you to see but I can’t get it into the scanner where it shows up right and I have not mastered close-up with the camera. I guess you will just have to wait to see the cuff/leg. I am sure I will need help when I get to the heel.
Andi

Well hopefully someone else will be along to help you out, I’ve never done socks, so can’t say much about the heel.

You should try it. Its a lot of fun.

Oops…didn’t realize you are using chunky! Silver’s tutorial only goes up to worsted weight. :think:

That’s OK, everything is working out just fine. Its just going a little slower as the yarn is a bit bulky. It was easier learning this part, than it was learning the knit stitch. You 2 (and the others) have been such good and patient teachers.
Andi

Not that much interested in socks; I don’t like using such tiny needles. I may get around to doing a pair in worsted to wear with my slippers at home when it really gets cold.

Hi, Andi! :waving:

Very well done on taking the road to sock-ville! Its’ a WONDERFUL adventure with WONDERFUL products at the end of the rainbow!

When you can, treat yourself to a copy of Ann Budd’s book, “Getting Started Knitting Socks”. It’s the one that really got me over the terrors and through the woods on sock knitting! Clear instructions, great photos and lots of informative charts like how much yarn you’ll actually need for various sizes based on how many stitches to the inch you’re knitting. That little gem has been quite a help for me in making sure I’ve got enough (but not too much) yarn.

As far as the dpn’s - that’s definitely worth learning. It might feel all awkward and fiddly at first, but you’ll soon learn the right “feel” for you in holding and maneuvering them.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! We’re rooting for you! This tired old world just NEEDS more hand-knit socks, they’re so huggy and warm!

Happy knitting,
Ruthie :knitting:

OK! After many partial frogs and several curse words, I have an 8" tube and am ready ro start making the heel. I found out what a yarn over was, found out what a twisted stitch was, and found out that you can not just keep going as if it didn’t happen. You must take the stitches out until you fix these little mishaps. Also if you make a kint or purl stitch where it doesn’t belong, it looks really funny and must be taken out to fix. So far my long, little tube is looking good.

I am still having fun and can’t wait until I get to see the finished sock.
Andi

Crocee just wanted to say that I just love your enthusiasm. Can’t wait to see your sock.

Thank you Karina. I am a very determined person, and I am determined to get this right.

My next step is confusing me and have posted for help.
http://forum.knittinghelp.com/t/slipping-stitches-to-start-heel?t=86153
Andi

Well thanks to Indygirl I got this going again. Why must I always try to do things backwards. OK I will post more when I get to another “stumbling block” that needs to be kicked out of the way.

Note to other attempting this very ambitious project before other think they are ready. GO FOR IT!!!. I have been having so much fun seeing my project materializing before my eyes.

Well I got the heel made and got it turned. It looks just like the picture and I have the right amount of stitches on the needle. The next step is to start making the gusset. So far I think I like making socks. Although if I was to use this yarn again(other than making this socks mate) I would use a larger needle. A size 6 DPN set is a bit small when using chunky yarn. It can be done but it isa little on the tight side. I used a size 6 because it was the largest I had and the LYS that sells DPNs is 40 miles away.

Thanks for reading about my adventure thus far.
Andi

These are fun and fast slipper socks to make with the yarn you have. And you use dpns.

Well I got the first sock finished. I grafted the toe the way shown on the silver sock site but do not like the way it looks. It could be due to this chunky yarn though. I will post a picture when I get the other one done.

The finished sock looks good, fits DH’s weird foot and hes happy with it, that’s all that matters. I am feeling pretty pleased since this is my first sock. Actually its my first actual project other than the beginning swatches I knitted while learning. I can’t wait to get a few more done.
Andi

I want to learn to make socks sooo bad, but waiting for Christmas and hoping I get the needles sizes I need. I just read your post and realized, I too have bamboo skewers and a pencil sharpener. Awesome, thanks for the idea.:happydance:

I would only use the skewers if they were the larger size. The small ones will not work for the reasons I was given, they will break. There is a lot of pressure placed on them in certain areas while knitting. They also need to be cut down as they are too long. Use skewers that are about the same size and length, as a size 8 dpn.

I hope to finish my second sock tomorrow, if not it won’t be until Wednesday as I have to work the next 4 nights.

I showed the first sock to my mother and she said she was prepared to say it looked for a first try even if it was wonky. It wasn’t wonky and looked like a real sock so she said it look great. Much better than she had thought it would look. I have decided I like making socks much better than afghans and wash cloths.
Andi

Chopsticks work too, their sizes can be anything from an 6 to a 9, though most seem to be about an 8.

I am sure this is late in the game for you but this pattern I am knitting, I hold 2 skeins of worsted weight yarn to make the socks. I think this would qualify as bulky weight yarn… http://www.beartoes.com/patterns/tropicalpunch.html

I have finished the pair of socks I was working on. I will take a picture later this afternoon to post.

The socks were great to make and I think they turned out great. The sock class of Silvers is so easy to understand and follow. Anyone who hasn’t made socks or is feeling intimidated by the complexity will find it easy. The only problem I had was trying to figure out how to slip the stitches. The easiest thing there is to do and I had trouble. This shows how I tend to over complicate things.
Andi