THANK YOU! (for the discounted yarn)

I can’t remember who mentioned this here so I wanted to send a huge thank you to whoever mentioned shopping at Tuesday Morning for discounted & discontinued yarn. One just opened up near me (actually on my way home from work) and I finally got to visit tonight.

I ended up buying 12 skeins of WoolEase yarn all in earth tones for only $30! That’s not bad since one skein normally goes for $4.99 to $5.99 at Michael’s or JoAnn’s. I went with my DH and he loves that brand for his wool socks plus my dad loves it too so I thought why not stock up.

The colors are:

Wood (looks like a tweed)
Mushroom (a light tan-ish grey)
Natural Heather (grey-ish cream)
Black (uh . . black)

So I have a total of 1305 yards in each color. Any suggestions on possible projects, besides my favorite socks? They did have more of the Wood and Natural Heather so I could go back if a project called for more . . .

Wow, this is my first purchase of yarn that I didn’t already have a specific project in mind. How scary and exciting at the same time!
:cheering:

I made a sweater for my grandson a while back with three of those four colors! It was a Dale of Norway pattern that called for dk weight, but I made a size 3 and it came out to be about a 6 ish.

Oh no, you did not just tell me that. There is one right by the grocery store.

“Honey, I’m running to the store for ice cream for you, be back in a few”

:XX:

I really had to search for it too. Bottom shelf but 3 bags deep. They had a ton of CottonEase in loud colors (fire engine red and Halloween orange), some baby yarn in a brand I didn’t recognize, plus some plastic needles.

dangit, our Tuesday hasn’t opened yet. I’ve driven by it a couple times since this spring, not movin’ too fast!
those colors make me crave some of my irish cream cheesecake… :drooling:

i had no idea! i just went to their website and found out i actually do have one near me!!! i’m going to have to go check that out sometime…thanks to whoever mentioned that!

Mine is closed now that I have the cash to go grab some to make Christmas presents. They re-open in August, so I am crossin gmy fingers that the yarn is all still there.

Just checked out your blog. Beautiful job on the blanket! I expect it’ll show up here soon!

So what should I make with all of this?

I want to go back and buy more but DH said I need a stated purpose for the yarn first. That’s only because he knows I might regret it later.

I can make a pair of socks easily with each skein. But I was thinking about possibly a sweater. How many yards would it take for a basic sweater for a woman comfortable in L and XL clothes? I was thinking something for me or my mother. I’m thinking 1300 yards is probably a good minimum. I’m not sure if they had that much there but I could always try . . .

I think you’re underestimating the yardage for a L-XL sweater. I know there’s a chart out there somewhere, but I just grabbed a book of raglan sweaters that makes each sweater in lots of sizes.

For a basic pullover, in size 44 (finished sz 49), for example, you need about 1600 yards of worsted weight.

I wear a medium-large and if I don’t have a pattern in mind figure on 1500 yds. minimum.

Wow, I don’t think they had that much left. Well I can always make the scarves (Irish hiking is still my favorite) and the socks that my family actually like! Maybe I’ll try finding a took to match (that’s a winter hat to all of the non-Northeast/non-Canadian knitters out there). I think I saw one with cables on the flipped up part and that would match nicely!

Yay for you! My TM still has tons of that stuff. I did buy some cotton ease, but I haven’t decided what to do with it yet :shock:

I have a bunch of Woolease…I think it may be the natural heather, as a matter of fact, that I am planning to make Sonnet with…eventually.

Hey! Watch it! That Halloween orange might turn up on someone you run into at a local knitters gathering.

(Actually, it’s being frogged as we speak, but I did want to try again.)

[size=2]DISCLAIMER: I’m not really upset with Suzie … she doesn’t have to like the same colors I like. This is said with tongue in cheek, and no tongues or cheeks were harmed in the authoring of this note.[/size]

Jul…I LOVE your disclaimers! :roflhard:

Hey! Watch it! That Halloween orange might turn up on someone you run into at a local knitters gathering.

(Actually, it’s being frogged as we speak, but I did want to try again.)

[size=2]DISCLAIMER: I’m not really upset with Suzie … she doesn’t have to like the same colors I like. This is said with tongue in cheek, and no tongues or cheeks were harmed in the authoring of this note.[/size][/quote]

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

That top is cute…details, please!

Thanks, Kemp. Here’s a link to the pattern, and here’s my sad story about why it’s getting frogged. (see bottom of the page).

I just checked it out. Maybe before you frog it, you should wash it to see if the holes get reduced…it will also stretch some :slight_smile: HATE to see something that finished get frogged :frowning:

aww crap (am I allowed to say that???). I just read the rest. Sorry washing didn’t help.

Well, thanks, but we’ve already been through that. :frowning: I got it good and wet and blocked it, and it’s really about 2 sizes too small. It’s not that big of a deal, really. I would be much happier with it if I just knit it over again and tried smaller needles & a larger sweater size. I also think I’ll try knitting it in the round next time.