Test knitting

does anyone here do that anymore? i see archived threads about it, and i see the ‘pattern’ part of this thread encourages posting our own pattern(s), but what i’d really like are guinea pigs for a pattern i’ve created and am editing.

it’s a slouchy unisex hat, in any color(s), made in the round, using whatever needles you like - DPNs, magic loop, 2 circs - in DK or sport weight, with 2x2 ribbing at the bottom and a fun pebbly/nubby pattern repeat up top. fancier/feminine versions could incorporate beading if desired.

what i’d like is feedback and corrections on the sizes and instructions as needed, and picture(s) of your FO for both the instructions and ravelry marketing. you get my eternal thanks for helping me complete a 2015 knitting goal, your FO to keep or gift, and credit on the pattern and on ravelry as a test knitter and photographer (and model, if applicable).

anybody game?

Do you think a light worsted would work? I’m not sure I have for real dk and I’m pretty sure I don’t have sport weight. What’s gauge on it?

so far my gauge has been right around 24 sts & 32 rows = 4” in stockinette, on sizes 5 and 6 needles, so it’s right in between sport and dk. i used both sized needles for testing and there was no big difference in gauge.

i think if you got close to gauge with a worsted or light worsted, it would be fine, just a slightly denser fabric.

in the pattern i made sure to say that any combination of needle size and yarn size that gets gauge is just fine. i also suggest using 2 fingering/sock yarns held together as i’ve seen that as a substitution on numerous patterns.

OK, I’m interested. Do you send me the pattern? Will you hate me if I fail to get it done in a timely manner? I have a deep seated fear of commitment, you see.

The last time I agreed to a test knit I had questions and was told to do what I want. That to me wasn’t really testing a pattern. I’m not thinking you’d do that to me or anyone else.

I’ve never done a test knit before but I’m game if you are!

I want to see what I’m maybe thinking about consdiering a commitment to. Post a pic please. I do think I have yarn for it and if not, dang it! maybe I’ll just have buy some. That would be too horrible. :eyes:

there’s no huge pressure for a time frame. it’s sharing creative expression, not clockwork orange meets tax season. :wink:

i have 2 samples that were done in more of a beanie fashion. the pattern has evolved in a slouchy style, and that version i’m still knitting a tester myself. i’ve done the math, but i know there could be errors/issues/refinements. my ‘testing’ i referenced above has been the 2 beanie style finished items, plus 2 swatches for the current item, plus the actual slouch style i’m working on. the swatches were done in 2x2 rib and stockinette, as that’s the majority of the pattern that influences gauge.

there’s no huge pressure for a time frame. it’s you helping me share a creative expression, not clockwork orange meets tax season. :wink:

i have 2 samples that were done in more of a beanie fashion. the pattern has evolved in a slouchy style, and in this new version, i’m still knitting a sample myself. i’ve done the math, but i know there could be errors/issues/refinements. my testing has been the 2 beanie style finished items, plus 2 swatches for the current item, plus the full-scale slouch style i’m working on. the swatches were done in 2x2 rib and stockinette, as that’s the majority of the pattern that influences gauge.

i would PM you the pattern once i’m done tinkering/proof-reading. i thought that would be today, but ‘life. interrupted.’ took over earlier. :wink:

so far, the pattern has sort of an easy plan A set of directions, and a more thoughtful plan B set as well. you could choose either, or try both, but the expectation is that you’d pick a size and plan A or B. with either A or B there’s the fun option of beading, if you like. i haven’t done that yet, but i know it’s all over ravelry, and knitty.com had some good directions.

you’d follow the directions as written, correct me when i got something obviously wrong, or question me when something doesn’t make sense. if there’s a better way to say something, let me know. if the sizing is unobtainable, or the measurements are off, i need to know that so it can be fixed. it’s definitely a “here’s what i did, i want you to be able to do the exact same thing, as easy as possible” situation, not you just out there doing whatever.

judy - thanks for the interest! i just messaged GG that i’m still tinkering with the pattern but it should be ready soon. there’s no crazy deadline for finishing. there’s also no need to tip-toe - if you do this, really tell me when i screwed up so i can fix it. :wink:

i’m posting photos of the previous incarnations, and that message to GG has more info, so you have an idea what i’m going for. let me know if you have any questions.

ok, some pix of the FOs so far… like i said, they’re both more the beanie style instead of slouchy, and they were test-knit as smaller sizes. it became really clear early on with the smallest one that the crazy crazy crazy yarns won’t work well, because the pattern is instantly lost. it worked better with the stripes, but it’s still subtle. but, for testing, whatever color(s) you like are just fine. i won’t judge anybody for their construction orange, or dark-like-my-soul emo black… obvious no-nos would be anything that obscures the pattern, like boucle or eyelash yarn, or like the smallest one, a crazy color scheme that takes over.

And I was trying to suss out a source for RH Blacklight in a lighter than worsted. :mrgreen:

I have some Lion Brand Pound of Love in Denim…I think that’s what it is. A very thin worsted that might work. I’ll check for gauge. I also have some baby yarns that are thinner.

ha ha ha :wink: the whole time i was working with the crazy extruded/wrapped ‘yarn’ i was thinking about the RHSS blacklight stuff… but as far as i can tell, it’s worsted only… though there are a million other clown barf yarns available :wink:

LBPoL says it knits at 19 sts & 24 rows for 4", on size 8 needles, so it’s quite probable you’d get the test pattern gauge using the smaller needles.

I’m in! Just let me know when the pattern is ready!

sent to both of you, via PM. many thanks, in advance! :wink:

Got it! I’ll start ASAP. Mine will almost certainly be a solid color.

If your interested in another tester I’m happy to give it a try. I’ve never tested a pattern before and I’ve never followed a pattern without altering some portion of it so it should be a good challenge for me !

I probably wouldn’t start it for about a week as I am currently attempting to turn my husband into the Venus Fly Trap from Little Shop of Horrors for an Adaptive Ski School Mardi-Gras event next weekend.

Feed me, Seymour. :flirt:

I’m looking at this as a bit of a challenge too. I don’t typically use patterns but this time I’m determined to follow one, even gasp making gauge. Can I do it?

that sounds like the best ski event ever! our poor mountain passes are just kaput this winter, like 40% of normal quantity snow, and it’s poor quality. most winter-related and outdoor/recreational places in town have been clearancing their winter gear for a month. my dad and i usually go snowboarding about 6-10 times (more if we get a season pass), but haven’t been at all this year, and only went once last year.

i’d love to have another tester! i’ll PM you the PDF and the plain text, and you feel free to start whenever.

cheers! :wink:

Spring Song yarn on size 3 needles is looking good for gauge. I hope I don’t need to go to smaller needles. If I do I’ll have to get (find) sock yarn.

size 3? wow, good to know… definitely some gauge and tension differences. :wink:

the spring song is light fingering, so are you using it 1-stranded, or doubling?i ask because i did a couple gauge tests using what was advertised as sport/baby weight. but really it’s between baby and fingering. i had trouble getting gauge without doubling.