Terminology Question

Hello all,

Quick question ----

Is “Yarn Forward” the same as “Yarn Over”?


it depends on the pattern. it appears that most british patterns (and others too maybe?) use the term yarn forward instead of yarn over. However, some patterns may actually be saying “with yarn forward or wyf” which means to do the next instruction with the yarn in front…

but as written, i would say that yes, that is what it is telling you to do…Yarn Over.

(welcome to the forums! :waving:)

Thanks for the help!

That part of the pattern is “…K2, yfwd, K3…” so I was kind of thinking the same thing you said. I wondered if they wanted me to work the next stitches with the yarn in front, but since it was just a K3, I didn’t think that was it. I thought it must be a British term for YO, maybe.

Thanks again!

If you K2 then bring the yarn forward (yfwd) and from that position knit the next 3 stitches, you will end up with the same as a yarn over.

:?? i think i am going to have to get my yarn and needles out to understand that. How does that create a yarn over? I am not even sure how you actually perform a knit stitch with the yarn in front (but i haven’t put much thought in it either until just this very moment :teehee:)

i read that instruction and read it as a yarn over. :shrug:

EXACTLY!! When I knitted it in my head, that’s what happened! I guess I just needed reassurance.


If you have your yarn at the front of your work and the next instruction is to knit, when you insert your needle into the stitch to knit it you have to bring the yarn from the front to the back in order to wrap it and finish the knit stitch properly. This in itself creates the yarn over.

oh whew…i thought you were talking about knitting with the yarn in front and i was waaaaaay confusssed! all better now :teehee: