Tension technique

Is there a technique to get the tension right or is it just practice, practice, practice? Thanks for your help.

It is as you already guessed: it comes by practice. Some knitting styles makes it easier than other, but with all knitting styles it is possible to have an even tension with some practice.

4 Likes

Thanks. I thought so, but was hoping magical knitting technique :rofl:

1 Like

I do not think it is magical, but the style I knit I think makes it easier to keep even tension. But even for this technique you would need to practice a bit. Here is a sample of how I knit ribbing:

3 Likes

Thank you :blush: I am a lefty. I gather it should work for me?

1 Like

I am able to knit both right and left handed and my wife converted from knitting left handed to right handed. Knitting is a cooperation between your left and right hand: both hands have work to do. It actually does not matter much if you are left or right handed. Later when you are very used to knit in a certain way it will be more difficult to switch.

In this video I am knitting right handed (but with yarn in left hand) and right handed knitting is what I usually recommend people to do regardless of if they are left or right handed because then it is so much easier to follow videos. The knitting technique I use is called “Continental Combined” and in this area I live most people are keeping the index finger (holding the yarn) very close to the needle. Some Continental videos you find on the net have the finger far away.

3 Likes

2 Likes

It’s only partly practice! Here is a great article that explains how to use the knitting needles to create the right tension.
Also, if your purls are looser, you can used the combined approach as in former posts. Just remember that an eastern purl is twisted so on the next row, it has to be worked through the back loop. These will be knit stitches if you’re working flat rows or purl stitches if you’re working in the round. Working tbl is not as fiddly as usual because the stitches are already presented with the back leg slightly in front. I always do combined knitting in rib as the rib looks so much neater!

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I just got a small ball of scrap yarn and kept practicing. I frogged it all, wound it back in a ball, and did it over and over. Good way to practice short row sock heels with about 12 stitches on the needle. I knit continental. The trick is to shorten up on the yarn til you have about an inch or inch and a half between your fingers tensioning the yarn and the ends of the needle. Hold the yarn taut or tightly. Keep your fingers as still as possible and don’t move them. You’re basically knitting off the tips of the needle. It helps you to knit faster too. A lot has to do with yarn. I found wool gives me better tension than acrylics. Lion brand splits. Switch to a different type of needle. Like wood to aluminum. Plastic needles break and yarn sticks to them.

3 Likes