SYLVI-KAL: The Ultimate Coat!

Thanks so much…by late afternoon and reading the pattern over and over, I realised that in the key to the chart it said, the square with the dot is a pearl on the odd number rows and a knit on the even numbered rows, and I had overlooked that. I don’t know why the chart simply wasn’t made to reflect that…kind of strange to me, but now I have completed 21 wonderful rows and am so excited. Thanks again. :):thumbsup:

Good for you for figuring it out! I’m happy that you’re on your way. We’d love to see a photo of you finished coat if you’d like to post one.
I often do the same thing with patterns when I’m stumped, read and re-read every word, read them out loud, read them upside down. Eventually something usually makes sense. If not, this is a good place to ask.

Since you’re only up to about row 21 or so of the chart, I thought I’d chime in.

Most challenging thing for a lot of Sylvi knitters is the chart(s).

If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend [B]color coding[/B] your chart [B]symbols KEY[/B] and then [B]all symbols within the chart[/B] to correspondingly match.

Back in 2009, I took a photo of my chart key, and a photo of my chart. Both photos are cropped to protect against copyright infringement, but the point of color coding is still served.

Click here below. Scroll down, it’s post #25.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88087&page=3

I always color code any chart because it prevents errors. But with the jillion chart symbols in Sylvi, it was a matter of life and death of the project. I don’t know how anyone could knit from a black and white Sylvi chart, honestly it would take me forever to wade through each row… and with much tinking I’m sure.

Thanks for the tips…I copied the charts and have been crossing off bits and pieces as I go, and also keeping a second chart handy in case I need to look at a crossed out portion. So far so good. :aww:

The SYLVI charts are by far the most challenging charts I’ve ever had to decipher. Study all the chart symbols [B]really carefully [/B] because I’m warning you, some of them are nearly identical.

I am so excited to join the Syvi gorup. I have saved a photo of this coat on my Pinterest for a while and now have motivation to start it.

Same here!! I’m so excited to have found this page. I started my left front a few days ago. However I’m stuck at row 124 where it asks to work to the last 2 stitches and K2. On my next row do I work purls for these two knits?
I’m stuck and wondering what these two knits are for
Thanks a lot in advance :slight_smile:

I don’t have this pattern but perhaps looking at some of the projects on Ravelry can help. This one shows the fronts and may help answer your question (see especially photos 4,5,6):
https://www.ravelry.com/projects/AgassizKnitter/sylvi