Switching to bigger needles on circs?

Hello all!

I’m currently working on a hat and the pattern calls for a change in needle size. I have to go from 4 to 6.

I tried replacing the 4s with 6s on the needles but the stitches were too tight and I’m not sure how to go about doing this. I know I’ve don it before, but I can’t seem to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

are you trying to knit them off one needle and on to the other? that would be my best bet. The other option I would think is maybe either a row with size 5 needles and then switch to the sixes so that the increase is more gradual. Or doing a round on the 4s as loose as possible but i would think it is possible that would be more noticable than to increase on the fives but maybe not.

It sounds to me like you are just slipping the round you have just knit on the 4’s onto the 6’s in order to then knit them. I don’t normally do this, I normally just start knitting the next round with the 6’s (off the 4’s in my left hand).

It’s easiest to just start knitting with the larger needle. Doesn’t matter if the left needle is smaller, the right one is what determines the size of the stitch.

sue

Right, but do I get the 6s ready to knit on a longer cord? I have the interchangeables so I’m not sure if I knit them onto the 6’s and a longer cord. I’m probably confusing myself for no reason.

If you are using interchangeable needles you can just change the right hand needle to the larger size since you aren’t really knitting with the left hand needle. I often have the left one smaller so the stitches come off easily.