Switching Colors

You will probably think I’m so stupid for asking this, but I have no idea what to do. I am very new to knitting and I LOVE it, and have just finished a baby sweater. The sweater, however, was all one color b/c I couldn’t figure out how to switch colors!!

I am now knitting a hat, and I want to make stripes (horizontal). It’s a basic hat being knit on circular needles. How do I switch from one color to the other and then back to the main color??

If I can conquer this problem I will be SO happy, so any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!!

Are you at Vassar now? I’m in Pleasant Valley. :smiley:

When you switch colors, you can just start knitting with the new color and weave in the ends later. When you’re done with the color, don’t cut it unless you’re making very wide stripes, just carry it loosely up to the next section.

:waving: Welcome to the forum vassargirl :smiley:

I have an incredible idea for doing a simple 6/6 cable scarf, using two different colors for each twist of the cable and another color for the background.
An alternate method is using both colors of the cable together in the background and alternately dropping and picking up each color.

Is this impossible or just a very advanced technique? Has anyone else done this before?

:thinking: It sounds interesting. Personally, I’d have to sit down and try it to see how all the stranding would work out.