Sweater sleeves help?

I’m knitting the sleeves of a sweater pattern, but this part of the pattern is confusing:

[B]Working in stockinette stitch, increase 1 stitch (knit in front and in back of the same stitch) each edge now. Then increase 1 stitch each edge every 8th row 8 times and every 6th row 2 times.[/B] Work even on the 56 stitches to approximately 19 1/2 inches from beginning ending with a purl row.

I thought it meant to increase 1 on the first and last stitch of each row, both on purl and knit sides, and then on the 6th row, do a 1 stitch increase TWICE at each end, and on the 8th row, do a 1 stitch increase EIGHT times at each end, but that’s going to be a very oddly shaped sleeve. I’d done it that way, but where I am now I’m starting the 7th row, and with all the increases so far I’m already at 49, so increasing by 16 is going to put me way over the 56 stitches mentioned. Who can explain this in a less complicated way? Thanks!

i’m reading this as…

starting with your first row of increased stitches, you kfb the 1st and last stitches
then
skip to 8 rows later, you kfb at each end
skip to 8 more rows later, you kfb at each end
skip to 8 more rows later, you kfb at each end (this is the 8th time, but not the 8th row)
then
skip to 6 rows later, you kfb at each end
skip to 6 more rows later, you kfb at each end (this is the 2nd time, but not the 2nd row) and at this point you should have the 56 stitches.

it’s not increasing 8 times at the end of ONE row, it’s spreading out a 2 stitch increase (1 stitch increase at each end of a row) multiple times over multiple rows, until you get 56 stitches total, and until you’re about 19.5 inches total from your starting row. skipping to every 8th row 8 times, then every 6th row 2 times, for the increases, creates a gradually larger sleeve to fit an arm.

X, I agree on the “every 8th row, 8 times” but for “every 6th row, twice” there should only be two rows of increase.
So in all that would be an increase on row 1 (the current row), followed by increases on rows 9,17,25,33,41,49,57,65 and then rows 71 and 77.
All the increases should end up on the knit side.

ack! oops, my mistake. i got caught up in the 8th row/8 times, and added that into the 6th row logic as well. you’re right… 8 rows 8 times, 6 rows 2 times. i just edited my post to reflect that. thanks for the catch! :wink: