Sweater sizing help

I’d like to knit the Mr. Greenjeans sweater in the Fall '07 Knitty for myself but I’ve never knit a sweater for me before.
I’m trying to decide between the S (3 balls) and M (4 balls).

Big decision because 1) the Schaefer Miss Priss yarn the pattern used is $29 a skein at my LYS and 2) I’m going to Stitches tomorrow so if I can pick up a comparable yarn at a good price I’d be :woot:

I thought a M at first because I wear a 36 bra but I just measured a sweater that fits me well (a friend suggested this) and across the chest on that is 17.5" so I figured 35" doubled.
The pattern finished chest measurement is 36.5 for the S and 40 for the M.

Any advice from experienced knitters. I don’t want it to be too small but at $29 a ball if I can get away with 3 I’d like to. And to complicate matters I’d typically buy ready made clothes in a size small … until recently. I put on a few pounds this summer (too much knitting and computer time… not enough gym) so I’m feeling more a M in my head. aagh!!!

See, this is why I stick to scarves… no sizing issues:??

You might think about knitting the S with needles a size larger than in the pattern. That might give an extra inch or so if you need it. And is the sweater you measured a pullover or a cardigan? A cardi goes over other clothes so you might not want negative ease. Also, your bra size is not what you measure around at the fullest part.