Sweater size problem

Hello. I hope someone can give me some advice. I am a relatively new knitter,and I’m working on a cardigan for my eight-year-old daughter. I am getting near finishing the back, but I measured (a little too late, obviously), and it seems to be several sizes too wide. I DID check my guage before starting this project, so I don’t know why it’s so big. :?? My question now is: As I’m approaching the armhole shaping, should I add a few more rows to the back first, so that it is a little longer (since it is so wide), and if so, how should I go about doing the armhole shaping and the rest of the sweater? I don’t mind it being big (better than too small), but I at least want it to be proportional. Please help!!
Happy Day!!

Do you have a larger sweater pattern that you can get some proportions from? I know there’s a percentage formula, but I’m not sure it applies to children’s sweaters or just to adults’. I would look at a larger size pattern and work off of that. But that’s just me. I’m sure someone out there has a more brilliant plan!

BTW Welcome!

Thanks for the reply, Ingrid. I have decided to start the sweater all over, using smaller needles. :frowning: :frowning: I hate that I worked for about one month, for nothing, but “c’est la vie”…or something like that. I hope it works out this time. (Wish me luck!) :wink:

For future reference… www.yarnstandards.com has a wealth of info, including standard measurements for all sorts of garments. The charts are great for checking proportions. :thumbsup:

It’s not new advice, but I find that I have learned from each and every piece that I had to abandon or frog, and that I use it ‘next time’.