Sweater Question

Hi everyone,

I am making my first sweater, and I had a question for you. Here is the pattern that I am going to be knitting: http://www.cascadeyarns.com/patternsFree/B177_EcoWoolWeekender.pdf. I have already knit the back half of the sweater and bound that off. I’m now working on the front side and this is where I’m running into a question. I’m also knitting a size small.

It says “Front: Work as for back. Work 114 rows in Stst.”

This is probably very obvious, but where the rows don’t quite align I’m not sure. Am I working the front as I am for the back complete with the binding off that is referenced on row 89? I’m just confused because I then continue to decrease the sweater on the right side rows, but the directions for the back have me decrease until there are 132 rows. Does that mean that I’ll just continue to decrease on my front side but only up until row 114? Or am I ignoring the bind off starting with row 89 and just knitting a straight piece in Stst through row 114 with no decreases?

Work the front the same as for the back for 114 rows, including the BO on row 89. Then there’s probably some different shaping for the front neck.

Thank you for the reply. I think I’m still confused and I’m so sorry!

If I am to work the front as I did for the back, I will do my ribbing for 18 rows, then switch to Stst and knit 88 rows in Stst. Then at this point the back instructions say the following:
"[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]At the beg of next two rows bind off 3 sts = 80 sts left. Work two rows.
[LEFT]Start raglan shaping. K2,SSK , knit to last four sts. K2tog, k2. Purl on wrong-side rows. Continue to decrease on right-side rows until you have 38 sts left. Bind off on a right-side row. (bind off after 132 rows in Stst )"

So I would start on row 89 (the RS row) and bind off 3 leaving 83 sts. Then I would work the WS row 90 and bind off 3 leaving 80. I then essentially decrease 2 sts (one on either side) on the RS rows. However, if the instructions state that I’m only to work 114 rows in this method for the front, then I would only have 58 stitches left at this point. [/LEFT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
[LEFT]"On the following right-side row bind off center 10 sts."
My RS row is row 115 at this point. So am I still doing the decrease of K2, SSK at the start of the row before the 10 sts are bound off, and then K2tog, k2 at the end of the row? If yes, then I’m left with 23 sts for each half, correct? Because at this point I’ve got 58 sts, I’m binding off the center 10, and decreasing at the front and end of the right and left sides respectively leaving 46 sts to be divided in half. If I’m not to do these decreases then I would have 58 sts, 24 for each half of the sweater. [/LEFT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][LEFT]“After you bound off the center 10 stitches you will finish your row. You will have the same amount of stitches on both sides of your bound off row. Now you will finish the left side first. (Left side = when it is in front of you and you look at it) Purl one row, turn. At the beginning of the next knit row bind off 3 stitches. Finish row. Purl one row. At the beginning of the next knit row bind off 2 sts. Finish row. Purl one row. At the beginning of the next knit row bind off 2 sts. Finish row. Purl one row. *At the beginning of the next knit row bind off 1 st. Finish row. Purl one row * repeat from [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]to[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2] 2 more times. The neck shaping is done. When all raglan decreases are done, 4 sts are left and 132/132/136/140/144 rows in Stst are worked, bind off on right-side row.”[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]OK, so presuming I have 24 or 23 sts on each half depending on the answer to the question above, I purl on row 116 for the left half of sweater. For row 117 (RS) I would bind off 3 sts and knit to end (21 or 20sts left). Then I’d purl row 118. Then for row 119 I would bind off 2 sts (19 or 18 sts left). I purl row 120. In row 121 I bind off 2 sts (17 or 16 sts left), purl row 122,. For row 123 I only bind off 1 (16 or 15 sts left), purl row 124, bind off 1 st for row 125 (15 or 14 left), purl row 126, bind off 1 st for row 127 (14 or 13 sts left), purl row 128. But then what? I’m left on row 128 and I don’t see how I’d only have 4 sts left and be on row 132?[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I’m sorry if I’m making this more confusing than it needs to be. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

[COLOR=Red]However, if the instructions state that I’m only to work 114 rows in this method for the front, then I would only have 58 stitches left at this point. [/COLOR][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]

That’s right.

[LEFT][COLOR=Blue]“On the following right-side row bind off center 10 sts.”[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red]My RS row is row 115 at this point. So am I still doing the decrease of K2, SSK at the start of the row before the 10 sts are bound off, and then K2tog, k2 at the end of the row? If yes, then I’m left with 23 sts for each half, correct? Because at this point I’ve got 58 sts, I’m binding off the center 10, and decreasing at the front and end of the right and left sides respectively leaving 46 sts to be divided in half. If I’m not to do these decreases then I would have 58 sts, 24 for each half of the sweater. [/COLOR][/LEFT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][LEFT]That sounds right too.

[COLOR=Blue]“After you bound off the center 10 stitches you will finish your row. You will have the same amount of stitches on both sides of your bound off row. Now you will finish the left side first. (Left side = when it is in front of you and you look at it) Purl one row, turn. At the beginning of the next knit row bind off 3 stitches. Finish row. Purl one row. At the beginning of the next knit row bind off 2 sts. Finish row. Purl one row. At the beginning of the next knit row bind off 2 sts. Finish row. Purl one row. *At the beginning of the next knit row bind off 1 st. Finish row. Purl one row * repeat from [B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]to[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][FONT=Arial][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2] 2 more times. The neck shaping is done. When all raglan decreases are done, 4 sts are left and 132/132/136/140/144 rows in Stst are worked, bind off on right-side row.”[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT] [/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[COLOR=Blue][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]OK, so presuming I have 24 or 23 sts on each half depending on the answer to the question above, I purl on row 116 for the left half of sweater. For row 117 (RS) I would bind off 3 sts and knit to end (21 or 20sts left). Then I’d purl row 118. Then for row 119 I would bind off 2 sts (19 or 18 sts left). I purl row 120. In row 121 I bind off 2 sts (17 or 16 sts left), purl row 122,. For row 123 I only bind off 1 (16 or 15 sts left), purl row 124, bind off 1 st for row 125 (15 or 14 left), purl row 126, bind off 1 st for row 127 (14 or 13 sts left), purl row 128. But then what? I’m left on row 128 and I don’t see how I’d only have 4 sts left and be on row 132?[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Black]You have 24 sts - after you BO 3, then 2, then 2, and 1 sts 3 times, that’s 10 sts lost, BUT aren’t you also still continuing the raglan decreases too? So that should[/COLOR] decrease enough sts to get you down to 4.

The pattern doesn’t spell that out, but that must be what I do. The decreases are done on the RS row, as are the bind offs. So I think I would do both in the same row. It looks like that is my difference since I’d decrease one stitch at the beginning of each RS row, I’d bind off 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1 on each successive row (6 rows), so combined with the raglan decrease that would get me down to 4. I just couldn’t see that when I was reading it. Thank you so much for your help! :slight_smile:

Yeah, even though it doesn’t specifically mention the raglan decreases at that point, you’re still supposed to do them all the way to the top. Earlier it mentions continuing them.

OK, I thought I was all set, but now that I’ve gone to continue on I feel like I’m stuck at this same part. I know that you’re right about doing the raglan decreases and the decreases for the neck. I just worry that I’m not going to have the right number of stitches by the row that I’m going to finish.

So on row 114 I have 58 sts left. Here is where my problems start:

Row 115: I would do the raglan decrease at the beginning (decr 1), bind off the center 10 and then do the raglan decrease at the end. I still feel like this would only leave me with 23 sts on each side of the neck. But taking that a step further, I feel like at this point I need to only have 22 sts on each side after the raglans are done and center 10 bound off to get to 4 sts remaining by row 132. I just can’t see how to get there.

All even rows are purled.
Row 117: BO 3; k to last 4; work raglan decrease (k2tog, k2). 18 sts remain presuming I had the 22 on either side in the step above.

Row 119: BO2; k to last 4 and work raglan decrease (3 sts decreased total). 15 sts would remain with the usual assumption.

Row 121: BO2; k to last 4 and work raglan decrease (3 sts decreased total). 12 sts would remain.

Row 123: BO1; k to last 4 and work raglan decrease (2 sts decreased total). 10 sts would remain.

Row 125: BO1; k to last 4 and work raglan decrease (2 sts decreased total). 8 sts would remain.

Row 127: BO1; k to last 4 and work raglan decrease (2 sts decreased total). 6 sts would remain.

Row 129: Work to last 4 sts. Work raglan decrease (1 st decreased). 5 sts remain.

Row 131: Work to last 4 sts. Work raglan decrease (1 st decreased). 4 sts remain.

Row 132 I’d have the 4 sts left that they mention. What am I adding wrong? I cannot see how I would possibly have a number other than 22 on either side of the center 10 that I bound off. And yet at the same time it is impossible for me to have that there since at that point I’m only losing 2 sts per row - one at the beginning and end of the RS rows. I know it can’t be as confusing as I’m making it, but I just truly cannot see it.

Well, are you sure you’re supposed to have 58 sts when you start this part, or that’s just what you’ve got? One extra st on the shoulder won’t really make a difference, just do the decreases untily you have 4 or 5 left. If you have 5, then just do an extra dec at the end if you need to.

This isn’t so critical that you have to worry over it so hard, an extra stitch or an extra row doesn’t matter.

I feel pretty confident that I should.

The instructions prior to that tell me to work my original 86 sts for 88 rows in stst. At the beginning of rows 89 and 90 I should bind off 3 for each, leaving 80 sts. Then work two rows (91 and 92), still have 80. It said to start raglan shaping for row 93, where I would K2, SSK, knit to last four, then K2tog, K2. So with those instructions I would drop two stitches on each RS row. So at the end of row 93 I’d have 78 sts. Then it would follow as such: 95 (76), 97 (74), 99 (72), 101 (70), 103 (68), 105 (66), 107 (64), 109 (62), 111 (60), 113 (58).

In case you haven’t noticed I’m a definite Type A knitter. If the pattern tells me I should have a certain number of stitches when I reach a certain point I definitely freak out even if I’m off by one because it worries me that I missed something. But you’re right - one extra stitch at the top of the shoulder probably isn’t a big deal. When I get to the part where I’m finishing the sweater and I have this extra stitch to work with will I have a hard time figuring out how to attach it? Sorry - I’ve only ever knit in the round or worked scarves so I presume that when you seam the pieces together it should ideally be a one-for-one and you match it that way.

Those stitches are at the top of the neck so you will probably leave the sts on a holder to be knit for the neckband and won’t be seamed. When you do work it again, you can decrease the extra one or leave it in, whatever seems like it will work for you.

It’s good to follow patterns as written, but sometimes you need to tweak them so they fit. A pattern like this that spells out an exact number rows to knit rather than saying to ‘knit for X inches’ is dangerous unless you have [U]exactly[/U] the same row gauge. Otherwise it may turn out too long or too short for you. Sometimes you have to modify a pattern somehow in order for it to fit you - not all ‘size xy’ bodies are shaped the same even though they may have the same bust measurement, for example.

Thanks, Sue.

Which do you think would be easier when doing the neck and finishing: The 5 sts I’d be left with on the right and left sides if I leave it as it is seem like they get bound off because they’re the tops of the shoulder. Should I just find a way to seam them later? Or instead should I bind off the center 12 sts instead of 10 so that later I’ve got the 4 on each side when I’m done, and later when I pick up the stitches around the neckline I can pick up the extra 2 sts and decrease them within the neck?

It all depend on what the finishing instructions say to do with those shoulder stitches. You can go ahead and BO 12 instead of 10, and decrease later, whatever looks good to you and think will work.

As always thank you so much for your help. If I’m ever in Wyoming or you’re ever in NH I definitely owe you dinner for keeping me sane while reading patterns and giving me confidence to try new things. :hug:

This should hopefully be my last question. :slight_smile:

My pattern says the following: “Sleeve: Cast on 42/ 42/42/46/46 sts with smaller needle. Work 18 rows in rib.
Row 1: k2p2 repeat from to ending with k2.
Row 2: p2k2 repeat from to ending with p2. Repeat Row 1 and 2.
Change to bigger needles and continue to work in Stst pattern. Increase evenly 7/7/7/11/11 sts in first row =
49/49/49/57/57 sts.
To shape sleeve increase one st both sides
S: 8 x 1st every 8th row = 65 sts” [I]Note: when it is written in the pattern 1st looks like it is actually written as “first” because the “st” is in superscript.[/I]

So the ribbing was fine and I increased evenly over the 42 sts so I have 49. With respect to increasing for the sleeve, am I increasing two stitches within the respective row? At what point should I increase (i.e. do I k1 then do an increase, knit to the last stitch increase and then k1?) Also would my increases be on rows 9, 17, 25, etc. as I just increased on row 1 to 49 sts?

To shape sleeve increase one st both sides

Yes, that means inc at both [I]edges[/I]. So one at both the beg and the end of the row, and it can be a stitch or two in from the edge. And increase every 8th row is on the 1st, 9th, 17th, etc.

Thanks Sue. Where I increased 7 sts evenly over the original ones I cast on I was thinking that was the first row for some reason.