Sweater pattern HELP

Hi everyone,

This is the first time I try to knit sweater and I got stuck at the finishing part, and hopping someone can help me.
Now, I have the 3 pieces ( Right arm, Left arm and the Body), and below are the instruction for the finishing part.

I really not sure how and where to start it or even how to do it. :frowning:

When they talk about using one size larger than body needles, does this mean start from once the back neck sts transfer from holder to the needles?

Really hope there is a step by step instruction from this pattern for newbie like me.

===
Sew shoulder seams. Transfer back neck sts from holder to needle, PU and K 1 st for every 1 st along straight front bound off edge and approximately 3 sts for every 4 rows along the curved edge. Using needles one size larger than for body, knit into front and back of first st, slip both resulting sts back to LH needle and work Bridle Bind Off over all neck sts.

With right sides facing out, set sleeves into armhole openings, making sure that the center of each sleeve cap is placed at the shoulder seam. Pin in place. Using yarn needle and yarn, begin at the underarm and sew sleeves into armholes. Sew side seams up to armhole. Sew underarm seam.

Weave in any ends., block the measurements

====

Welcome to KH and congrats on your first sweater. You’re almost finished.
When you transfer sts to the needle, use the same needle as you used to knit the body. Continue to use that needle to pick up sts around the neck until you get back to the sts that came off the stitch holder. Now use the one size larger needle in your right hand for the bind off.

Does your pattern give specific directions for the Bridle bind off? If not, here are some directions. They may start off differently from your pattern but probably start where the 2sts are placed back on the left hand needle.

Can you tell us the pattern name?

The pattern I have is Migration Sweater. I had it for almost 3 years, and the finishing part made me quit the project till today. :slight_smile:

That seem easy to understand from you. :smile:
But what is the … " PU and K 1 st for every 1 st along straight front bound off edge and approximately 3 sts for every 4 rows along the curved edge " ?

For the Birdle Bind Off:
*k1 tbl, K2TOG tbl, slip both sts back to left hand needle, repeat from * to end, PSSO, cut yarn and pull end though.

See if this video helps for the pick up and knit steps both along the curved sides and the straight area.

Picking up sts always seems intimidating but it works out really well. It’s going to be an edging since you bind off on the next row rather than a ribbed collar.

Follow your pattern directions for the bind off.

Hi Salmonmac,

I finally sew the shoulder seam and picked up the stitches around the neck.

Based on your respond on Jul 20, it sound like to do the bind off right away after picked up all the sts around the neck.
Am I right or did I miss anything?
I re-read the instruction and really not sure what it said…
" … approximately 3 sts for every 4 rows along the curved edge.
Using needles one size larger than for b ody, knit into front and back of first st, slip both resulting sts back to LH needle and work Bridle Bindo Off over all neck sts."

Did we miss that section? If so, can you guide me please?

Thanks again.

That’s right. Pick up the stitches and then work the Bridle bind off. It’s a very pretty bind off. You can start it by doing the kfb if you want or just follow this video which seems very nice.

1 Like

This is a really interesting bind off. I have never seen it before, can it be used to bind of anywhere ?

Give it a try on your next project. It’s mentioned about halfway through the video that it can be used on sweater necklines and cuffs or wherever a bit of structure is desired.

Yesshh…another section done. :slight_smile:
I am not sure why it is curling as you can see from the picture after bind off. :frowning:

Bind off looks lovely, As for the curl, that’s stockinette. It’s in its nature to curl
Blocking it may help a bit depending on the yarn type. Is it wool or acrylic?

thanks.
It name as Peruvian Highland Wool.
What do you mean blocking it? :slight_smile:

Next, I have too sew the arms/sleeves. Hope i do it right :slight_smile:

Blocking is wetting and shaping the knit item to size. It’ll even out stitches and works especially well with wool. Your knitting looks lovely and even already.
Here’s a pretty good summary of blocking wool which does help with the curl on sweater necks or edges.

The article is very interesting, and their project look pretty too.
I will try it once I found blocking board :slight_smile:

Finally I had my project done. Not pretty but at least can wear. :slight_smile:

Mine is 100% Peruvian Highland Wool, can I wash it in machine machine or only hand wash? Cold or hot water need to be used ?

Do you think the sleeve seeming is a bit tide? Tried to loosen it and still same.

What do you mean by “a bit tide”? Did you mean a bit tight?

Looks wonderful! Enjoy wearing it.

100% Peruvian Highlands wool is likely a hand wash, lay flat to dry but check the ball band or tag on the yarn.

The seaming on the sleeve looks typical for the yarn weight and stitch pattern. Unless it feels too tight at the armhole or puckers at the seam, I’d leave it. Washing, shaping and laying flat may relax the yarn and sts.

I have to agree about the sleeves that is what mine look like once I have sewed them in, therefore I would say you are spot on.

Thank You Salmonmac and Trisha54